EMU EOS 4.62. Is it worth upgrading?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

EMU EOS 4.62. Is it worth upgrading?

Postby Yekuku » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi guys,
I have an EIV with EOS 3.00b and I am interested in upgrading to 4.62 but due to the 1mb limit of the cpu flash ram , the upgrade is impossible.
I need to get hold of a 2mb cpu flash ram card but they are rare as shit ! :evil:
What do u think guys, is it worth upgrading ?
Unfortunately non ultra models can be upgraded only to v4.62 , missing the most important feature which was FAT support that was introduced in v4.7
A few years ago there was a Russian guy that cloned the card and he was selling it at ebay, I tried contacting him but unfortunately I got no reply :/
There were rumors that there was a 2mb ram chip available that could be used as a direct replacement for the 1mb ram chip (requiring some smd soldering skills) , but no real facts exist.
Does anybody have any info or resources about this ?

many thanks
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Advertisement:

Re: EMU EOS 4.62. Is it worth upgrading?

Postby plus321 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

I currently have an E4XT Ultra (4.7) and I used to have both it and an e4k (non-ultra; 3.00b). My impression of the OS differences is that there aren't very many at all. Maybe I've missed something, but the only things I've really noticed is that the layout is a bit different (not really different, just a few things are grouped under different soft keys in sample manage/edit). 4.7 also has "beat munging" which I found to be totally useless, but I guess I never really understood how to use it. If I wanted to chop a loop, I would do it in a computer; it's a lot easier.

I remember the guy selling the chips and contacted him about it for my e4k at the time, but I learned it would require surface mount soldering. Not like he would send you the chip and you would solder it on, but he would send you a stick that would plug into a newer e4 and you would unsolder the chip and then solder it on. It seems like too much risk for a small reward.

I guess the only real difference I noticed was that 4.7 seems a little faster and you can't have an RFX card without it, but those cost almost 3x the sampler if you can find one.

Knowing what I know, I don't think I would upgrade it. It would probably be cheaper to just wait around and buy an ultra. I got mine for $200; you'll pay at least $100 for that upgrade.
plus321

Postby Yekuku » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanx for the info buddy , it is very much appreciated.
Beat mungling sounds a like a cool feature, I think it was introduced earlier on EOS v4.0.
Were there any updates concerning the filter section from EOS 3.00b to 4.62?
I am curious to find out more about this smd eprom, unfortunately I have not found any photo of it yet.

plus321 wrote:Knowing what I know, I don't think I would upgrade it. It would probably be cheaper to just wait around and buy an ultra. I got mine for $200; you'll pay at least $100 for that upgrade.

I could not agree more ;)
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby plus321 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:08 am

Actually, I think you're right. I think there are different filters on 4.7 like the morphing ones and maybe the swept eq. I guess I haven't used those enough to remember which ones are different.

But I guess that doesn't help you too much because you want to know about 4.62.

Also, you probably already know about it, but the forums at emusonacid.co.uk are a good resource for information.
plus321

Return to Samplers