New to sampling! Thinking of getting an electribe esx-1.

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

New to sampling! Thinking of getting an electribe esx-1.

Postby sadielove » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:44 am

Hey Everyone,

I've played acoustic instruments my whole life, but am just starting to become interested in electronic equipment. I've been playing around with a microkorg and a kaossolator pro for a little while, and I've got a few keyboards I play. I've been starting to research samplers, and am looking at the electribe esx-1. I've never used a sampler before and am a little confused as to what exactly this piece of equipment is capable of. Will I be able to create samples from my synthesizers and keyboards and save them onto the electribe? Or do I have to use pre-made samples on the electibe?
sadielove

Advertisement:

Re: New to sampling! Thinking of getting an electribe esx-1.

Postby visceralvoids » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 am

You can record/store 384 samples @ 285 seconds of memory. Not all of them in stereo. If you want to make a stereo connection you need to set it in global mode and use a stereo phone jack. When you get one, it''s full of preloaded samples. Sampling is faster with the SmartMedia card. It has a mono audio-in. Restoring to factory settings wipes it clean though. Yamaha RS-7000 is a similar alternative.
visceralvoids

Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks

Postby cartesia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 am

For the record the new ones have SD cards, also the audio input is selectable as mono or stereo on both new + old

But yeah - you can import your own samples either on the card via a computer (wav or aiff files), or you can record audio input directly from something into the esx.

The ESX has a good combination of sample-use - there are 'slice' parts - which allows you to take a longer sample and trigger different bits of it, say a breakbeat - rather than having to manually slice the samples up one by one.
It also has stretch parts (for changing the BPM of longer samples and keeping them in sync), one-shots (normal samples that play when you hit them..) and 2 keyboard parts that allow you to play multiple pitches of the same sample. (actually you can do this with the one-shot parts too if you step-sequence the pitch parameter, but its a bit time consuming)

Also it allows you to use single-oscillator samples that loop, so rather than have to sample an entire note of a synth sound, you can sample an individual cycle of an oscillator, loop it so it plays over and over, then this way you can hold down the note for as long as you like, rather than be limited by the length of the sample. It also has the multimode filter + filter envelope, + the LFO/envelope type modulation..

Another concept to familiarise yourself with is 'resampling' this is basically an internal audio routing so that you can re-record a sample, say with an effect applied, or as you play it at different pitches, play 2 samples at once etc.

then you can load the new sample into a single slot and do more modulation/whatever to it, etc etc.

The only downside to the ESX in my opinion is the fact that you are stuck sequencing on a 16th note grid (it has a swing adjustment though, and you can double the tempo to make it 32nd notes) (you can kinda sneak around this by recording silence at the beginning of a sample, then using the start point setting to set how much silence plays before the sample plays)

Also there is no polyphonic part - if you want to take a single note sample (say a piano note), and play a chord.. you will need to load the sample into 3 sample slots, transpose each slot to the right note of the chord ,then resample hitting all 3 at once (so you have a single sample of a chord) - one cool thing about doing it this way is you get the kind of classic 'chord memory' effect, rather than chords following theoretical transpositions where the semitones between the chord is not always the same depending on what the root note is.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 am

The Korg Microsampler should beworth checking out as well. Also Roland's SP range
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby balma » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 am

Korg Electribe ESX-1 is a wise investment, and a good and fun way to enter to the sampling world.

Practical and simple, nice sound, great interface, but above all, the integration between sequencing- sample tweaking its awesome. Fast to tweak samples, fast to create sequences.

Long time using it and I still finding new ways to explore its possibilities, I´m hooked to it. It´s a shame it has no more memory, but still a great hardware sampler and a good purchase several years after released.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby blavatsky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 pm

I like the ESX-1 - the drum parts/LFOs/Filter/3 effects - but I don't care for the sequencing on it. It's strength is also its weakness, the 16/32th resolution, which works great for dance/4 on the floor but is a little more challenging to get less quantized stuff happening.

For me, i'd look at the SP series from roland - I have a SP555,404sx,505. Different workflow, 1 effect at a time, 1 track sequencer but they are really fun and have a different sound than the ESX - and a TON more time to save on , the 404sx or 555 can store hours and hours on 1 card vs. a couple of minutes on the ESX.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby Hugo76 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 am

blavatsky wrote:I like the ESX-1 - the drum parts/LFOs/Filter/3 effects - but I don't care for the sequencing on it. It's strength is also its weakness, the 16/32th resolution, which works great for dance/4 on the floor but is a little more challenging to get less quantized stuff happening.

For me, i'd look at the SP series from roland - I have a SP555,404sx,505. Different workflow, 1 effect at a time, 1 track sequencer but they are really fun and have a different sound than the ESX - and a TON more time to save on , the 404sx or 555 can store hours and hours on 1 card vs. a couple of minutes on the ESX.

I agree the SP range is definately worth looking at. I would recommend tge 606, it actually has 4 tracks and two simultaneous effects. Quite good and efficient sequencing as well, with both step and real time modes.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby georgemarauder » Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 am

Second the SP-606. Great machine. Very easy to use, flexible, and very creative. Loved having 2 separate FX processors.

It may be overkill, but I'd recommend the Roland MV series of sampling workstations as well. They are amazing machines. Buy one of those and you really don't need much else.
georgemarauder

Postby th0mas » Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 am

Hugo76 wrote:The Korg Microsampler should beworth checking out as well. Also Roland's SP range

Do not get a korg microsampler. It's limited in many many ways. Hugo76 do you have one?
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Hugo76 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:38 am

th0mas wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:The Korg Microsampler should beworth checking out as well. Also Roland's SP range

Do not get a korg microsampler. It's limited in many many ways. Hugo76 do you have one?

No, But my friend demoed his for me, and it looked quite cool.
I'd be interested in hearing more about it's shortcomings, though
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby blavatsky » Fri May 25, 2012 3:14 pm

I have one, its main limit (like the ESX) is that you can only record 90 seconds (more if mono/lofi) onto the 36 keys (1 bank) - then I think you have about 10 banks or so. the keyboard part (pitched samples) are pretty fun but definitely SK-1 style, depends on what you are going for it you are going to like the sound or not..

Effects are pretty good (compressor/filter/delays), easy to use....I'd go with a roland SP first personally, SP404sx or SP555 or SP606 if you can afford it.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Return to Samplers