Z plane filters

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Z plane filters

Postby chamomileshark » Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm thinking of picking up one of the E-mu samplers/ROMplers - but the most important aspect to me would be the z plane filters as in the ones on the Morpheus that go from one filter type to another over time.

I see many E-mu products with z-plane filters but there is a suggestion in some of the stuff I have read, the term Z plane also came to mean a bunch of exotic but relatively static filters - ie no more dramatic morphing.

I'm fairly sure the Ultraproteus also has them - but can someone tell me if the other E-Mu products that are listed as having z-plane filters actually have the same morphing capacity as the Morpheus?

Many thanks
chamomileshark

Gear: Wiard 300 Series Modular, Frac Modular, Roland SH2 + SH101 +U20, Yamaha DX9, Microwave 1, Roland SVC-350, Virus B, and too many soft synths

Advertisement:

Re: Z plane filters

Postby vcs3 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:17 pm

If you want Z-Filters got for the Ultra-Proteus and the Morpheus.

Check this linkl http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives/ROMplers/romplers.html
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun May 06, 2012 12:41 am

Z-plane filters are on the Proteus 2000 and Protozoa too right?
I have the Protozoa ROM on my Vintage Keys but have barely touched it.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby balma » Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 am

Proteus 2000-2500 /Command Stations XL7, MP7 and PK7 have the same set of filters, but they are different from the Z plane filters from the Morpheus.
A Z plane filter is a filter wich can change its function over time. Two filters interpolate between them using a single parameter.

there are 50 different filters on the Proteus and Command Stations have LPF, phaser, flanger, vowel formant, EQ Boost EQ cut and Special Effect filters.
Some of them are very complex like the 12 order filters, and consume polyphony.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby chamomileshark » Tue May 08, 2012 12:25 pm

ok, thanks, seems it is either a Morpheus or Ultraproteus.
chamomileshark

Gear: Wiard 300 Series Modular, Frac Modular, Roland SH2 + SH101 +U20, Yamaha DX9, Microwave 1, Roland SVC-350, Virus B, and too many soft synths

Postby masstronaut » Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah I think the difference is that those are more fully programmable whereas the rest give you a number of preset filter topologies, if that's the right word. Still "Z-Plane" though.

The E-MU software samplers (Emulator X2 and X3) have those programmable morphing filters as well I think.
masstronaut

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm

As do the E4 series hardware samplers.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby balma » Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Morpheus has 14 order filters. The Proteus/command station synths have a 2, 6 and 12 order filters. Some of them are really crazy and unusual, and fantastic for basses or choirs (DJAlkaline, Roguehertz, Meatygizmo, BassOMatic, Ubulator, etc... ) , and they are similar to effects. 12 order filters reduce polyphony to 64.

The Q parameter can behaves as the resonance, ring tone, mid frequency, depth of notches and band selector depending of the filter you choose. But Q is NOT a realtime parameter on the proteus series. You hold a note, and modulate Q, nothing happens, notes must be retriggered to hear the Q modulations. Maybe that´s the difference.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Return to Samplers