Question About Akai S3000XL Functionality

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Question About Akai S3000XL Functionality

Postby TechnicolorTR606 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I may come off sounding like a moron in this thread, but I'm pretty new to the world of electronic music, and just recently started buying gear for this. I've been playing and learning music for many years though so I know a lot about how music works as a whole. After hearing Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat, Music Has The Right To Children, and Endtroducing..... for the first time about 7 months ago, I put away my electric guitar and bass in place of analog synths, sequencers, samplers, and drum machines.

Anyways, in March of this year I really wanted a sampler and after considering many options I decided to go ahead and buy an Akai S3000XL and MPC 2000XL just to get started in the world of samplers. Now the MPC functionality is pretty self explanatory. I know how to use it, I know what it does and how to do it, and I know its limitations. This is not the sampler I am referring to.

The Akai S3000XL is a different story though. It's just great, definitely not the best in the world, but damn good to be sure. But unlike the MPC I feel like I am not using it to it's full potential. As of now, I primarily use it for loading samples for the sole purpose of playing them back on a keyboard through MIDI. I pretty much though that was it's main purpose, kind of like a rackmount Emu Emulator. But as I read more about the Akai S-series the more I question it's functionality. I recently read a Boards of Canada interview when Mike said:

"I'm convinced I can hear the difference between modeled and real analog in music. We drop a lot of our music down onto a Tascam 4-track that has a great saturating effect on the sound. We have five or six samplers, but my favorite by far is still the Akai S1000. It's an old tank now, and the screen has faded so that I almost can't read it, but I know it inside out. It's the most spontaneous thing for making up little tunes. It adds something to the sound - maybe the lower bit depth has something to do with that." --Mike Sandison

http://www.solesides.com/winblad/boards ... x0702.html

What does he mean by making up little tunes, that his Akai could function as an arranger? I guess I want to know besides running samples through a keyboard, what else do artists use the S-series for?

Oh and please forgive my ignorance, I'm trying to learn and absorb all I can.

TechnicolorTR606

Gear: Mopho KB, 202, 303, 606, 808, ARP SSE, MPC2KXL, Akai S3KXL, C64, Sinclair ZX81, Apple II, Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Renoise 2.8

Advertisement:

Re: Question About Akai S3000XL Functionality

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't think he ment anything in particular, other than he likes to use it in songs. My s1000 does not have any sequencing capabilities, although if you create loops you can map each loop to a key and play a song that way (as with any sampler with enough memory). So in many ways the sequencer is redundant if you're clever with your programing, and are willing to actually sit down and play your sampler. I feel sort of the same way the author feels about mine...It's a very endearing sampler! But I love all of my s series. How's the 3000xl? Many people feel It's one of the best!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:13 am

TechnicolorTR606 wrote:As of now, I primarily use it for loading samples for the sole purpose of playing them back on a keyboard through MIDI. I pretty much though that was it's main purpose, kind of like a rackmount Emu Emulator.

Yep, that's what it does.

What does he mean by making up little tunes, that his Akai could function as an arranger?

No, he means he plays it with a keyboard.

Also what's with the green font? In desperate need of attention? ;)
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby TechnicolorTR606 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks for the replies, I guess I pretty much had it figured all along. Still is a great sampler. I love the S-3KXL although one thing that bothers me about it is the lack of upgrades that came in other S-series samplers, like the EB-16 effects board or the IB-XXX filter options. But its really easy to use, and has great editing options.

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Also what's with the green font? In desperate need of attention? ;)

I can think of many better ways than little green words to get the attention I desperately need. ;) actually I'm new here and I was just messing with all the pretty buttons up top, and the color reminded me of the Roland Space Echo (something I dearly yearn for, more than attention). I've been very bored today...

I don't know man, why ask? :D
TechnicolorTR606

Gear: Mopho KB, 202, 303, 606, 808, ARP SSE, MPC2KXL, Akai S3KXL, C64, Sinclair ZX81, Apple II, Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Renoise 2.8

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 am

The S-3000XL does a lot, but I didn't find it particularly inspiring, myself. I've had an Ensoniq Mirage for nearly 20 years that has bags more character. It's very low-spec, but that's part of the charm. If you want a sampler to play back accurately what you put into it, the 3000XL is probably a fair bet, but if you want a 'character' piece to add some level of strangeness to proceeding, you could try out some older machines. Apart from the Mirage, there are other Ensoniqs from the 80s, there are earlier Akais, and some Casio stuff (FZ? Brain hasn't kicked in yet).

Sampling is basically about recording a sound and playing it back either pitched or as it was. You can layer things, carry out certain processes like trimming and looping, reversing, etc. Initially memory was tiny on these things (the Mirage has 128k) but by the 90s you could feasibly use a sampler almost as a hard-disk playback machine. Desktop computers replaced them for pretty much every purpose, but there's a different way of working, a different interaction, with a lump of hardware that has more severe limitations that force you to do things its way. I like that, as do many others - if you're not sure exactly what to do with the 3000XL, try something more basic and (technically speaking) a bit less good. You might find it more productive, who knows.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby nogginj » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Maybe the modulation options on the 3000 are really nice - what all can you assign velocity to?

I imagine in the interview he was implying use of a sequencer, or maybe even just chucking in a melodic sample and playing at various pitches via keyboard. Some samplers have a very unique resampling sound (Akai and Emu come to mind), so it does add a certain character when you start pitching samples. Not to mention each one will have unique sounding envelopes / filters - I guess dude just likes how all these things come together in the 1000.

But no, you are not missing some hidden 'arranger' functionality. ;]

You asked about what else they are famous for, the timestretching on those early samplers was very characteristic. Fortunately, nowadays we have Akaizer http://akaizer.blogspot.com/

And bring back the green txt - Stab is just being a hater.

And Stab, what's with the hating? In desperate need of attention? ;)
nogginj

Postby piRoN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am

You asked about what else they are famous for, the timestretching on those early samplers was very characteristic.

Ha, one of my favourite samples I ever made was the 0.2 second long "tink" of a glass bottle being tapped, timestretched over and over to be 30 seconds long.

It sounded like... well, certainly not a glass bottle being tapped. More like the death throes of an 8-bit android.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby nsputnik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 am

If you want to get a lo-fi drum sample sound as heard in BoC tunes Skyliner and Left Side Drive try the Emu Emax set to the lowest rate (I think it is 11khz). I own but the S3000XL and the Emax. When I want this sound I sample into the Emax and then to the S3000XL because it is easier to work with.
nsputnik

Gear: jp8 ju106 ju60 ju2 sh101 odyssey indigo nordlead an1x emax chromapolaris prophecy matrix1000 xbase09 s3000xl tx81z sidstation midines esq1 shermanfb2

Return to Samplers