The SU-700 Internal Storage Options Thread

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

The SU-700 Internal Storage Options Thread

Postby somebedroomdj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 am

Hello :)

I'm not sure how many people here have one of these but for those who do, what do you have in yours? I have the SCSI expansion (finally) and I have an external Zip100 for it but my experience with these drives has been less than wonderful to say the least. This is my 4th one. So I'd like to find a reliable and cost effective internal storage solution.

I recently picked up one of those USB floppy emulators (34-pin with USB slot on the outside for a thumb drive, etc.) but I have not been able to get it to work, mainly because I don't quite understand the formatting process on the PC.

I've heard that SCSI hard drives are not the way to go because of the heat they put off. Any experience with this?

Iomega Jaz any good?

I have an Addonics ADIDECF card reader... Is there a suitable SCSI --> IDE bridge that would make this work?

Thanks for any input.
Synths: | Spectralis 1 | JP-8000 | Bass Station 2 | Minibrute | TT-303 | MC-09 | EF-303| Volca Keys & Bass
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | ESX-1 | SP-808 | Volca Beats
somebedroomdj

Advertisement:

Re: The SU-700 Internal Storage Options Thread

Postby Silverfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 am

I don't have an SU-700, but I've always wanted one. Look really cool. I do, however, have one of the 34-pin "Gotek" usb floppy emulators. Here's what I've learned: 1) They will only work with DOS-format stuff. If the hardware uses a proprietary disk geometry, forget it. Basically, if a windows machine can't natively read the floppy, then the emulator won't work for that device. There may be exceptions. 2) There is an English editor available here. The disk I received had everything in characters that wouldn't even display on my computers, so they were pretty useless. 3) HxC floppy emulators are the future. Are they expensive? Yes. Do they work? Probably, and if they don't, the developer will try his hardest to make it work. I don't have any yet, but my next floppy drive replacements will be these. 4) I almost forgot- I haven't been able to get the floppy emulator software to work on anything past windows XP, but maybe the ipcas site has a version that does.

Good luck, and enjoy your SU-700!
Silverfish

Band: Silverfish

Postby gmeredith » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 pm

You can get a SCSI-IDE bridge here for around $180 brand new:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_acard.htm

You can check on ebay for 2nd hand, probably a lot cheaper.

***EDIT*** here's an ebay shop selling lots of them for $135 each:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-aCard-IDE-t ... 5aeb8d66f4

I have a SCSI card reader for my EMU ESi2000, which is actually just a IDE card reader with a SCSI-IDE bridge attached, when you pull the cover off it. It works exceptionally well, silently and without any heat. Highly recommended.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby j0hnny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Have you contacted Yamaha support? They are quite helpful, even though they don't have any official advice on this matter. As a rule, if it works on a computer, it should work in the SU700.

It wont work until you have formatted the usb drive from the SU700 menu.
j0hnny

Postby somebedroomdj » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 am

Silverfish wrote:I don't have an SU-700, but I've always wanted one. Look really cool.

It is a very fun machine, I'd highly recommend it. :) I opted for a cheap floppy emulator (like $14 iirc) so maybe that's part of the problem. I'm gonna try to find some time this weekend to put it back in and have another go at it. Big thanks for that link, it will probably be a great help to have a program that is in English. :lol:

gmeredith wrote:***EDIT*** here's an ebay shop selling lots of them for $135 each:

Yikes, even that's a little much for me at the moment. Would be great to be able to just drop in a CF reader that I already have laying around though. As far as samplers go, that looks like one of the most useful peripherals around. Luckily I have the external Zip for as long as it wants to work for me. Guess I'll have to stick with that until I get some cash together or get this emulator to work.

j0hnny wrote:Have you contacted Yamaha support? They are quite helpful, even though they don't have any official advice on this matter. As a rule, if it works on a computer, it should work in the SU700.

It wont work until you have formatted the usb drive from the SU700 menu.

Honestly, I haven't. But I kind of assumed they wouldn't have much to say when it comes to modifications, especially for such an old product. Now, I first formatted the drive on my PC (Windows 7) so that it would, in theory, look like 100 floppies. Then I sampled a few seconds of silence so I'd have something to save. It said the disk formatted and it was looking good, then when I tried to save the volume, it gave me some kind of bad disk error. Hopefully my second go at it will yield a positive result, as this would be a dirt cheap solution.

Thanks for the replies guys and I will report back here with an update after I've done the deed again. :D
Synths: | Spectralis 1 | JP-8000 | Bass Station 2 | Minibrute | TT-303 | MC-09 | EF-303| Volca Keys & Bass
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | ESX-1 | SP-808 | Volca Beats
somebedroomdj

Return to Samplers