New Prophet 2000/2002 Windows editor

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

New Prophet 2000/2002 Windows editor

Postby piRoN » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:30 am

Well, this suddenly cropped up in a recent search for P2000 sysex info:

Prophet 2012

Haven't had a chance to try it yet (being at work), but it looks very promising. About time we had some up-to-date software for our underappreciated vintage samplers.

And god knows, if there's a sampler that needs a software editor, it's the 2000...
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Advertisement:

Re: New Prophet 2000/2002 Windows editor

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 pm

piRoN wrote:Well, this suddenly cropped up in a recent search for P2000 sysex info:

Prophet 2012

Haven't had a chance to try it yet (being at work), but it looks very promising. About time we had some up-to-date software for our underappreciated vintage samplers.

And god knows, if there's a sampler that needs a software editor, it's the 2000...

Pretty cool... but honestly, the 2000/2002 are pretty stress free. Everything is right there--there are no menus.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby piRoN » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 am

Are you joking? The P2000 has one of the most singularly fiendish patch architectures in existence. Trying to keep track of sound and map parameters and how they interact, the map modes, which sound you're editing at any given moment, and then editing all of it with three LCD digits, a single pot and a button... It's one of the single most tedious machines I've ever used - even editing the MKS-7 in its numerical "engineer mode" is a masterpiece of human-machine interfacing by comparison.

Having used this for a bit yesterday, I can see it's going to be a lifesaver. Being able to go to the "Map'" tab and see every single parameter transform at a glance is going to save hours of frustration - not to mention being able to bring up ADSR displays to see exactly how the sound+map envelopes are interacting. Sample mapping is still relatively impenetrable, but being able to see what samples and how much space is in each bank makes multisampling a lot easier. One thing I like is that you can build a whole multisampled patch entirely in the editor, and then just hit "Transfer to Prophet" and away you go.

Even if you're just using factory samples, you should grab this to back up your disks - just click on "Transfer to PC", wait for the informative progress window to finish, and then save it to disk as a single handy file.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Postby bionary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 am

Can you use to make disks for the Oberheim DPX1?
bionary

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 am

Sorry piRon, I guess I never bothered with that whole mapping shi-dazzle, so never really found it difficult, I only ever use hardware samplers as sound sources, not fully-fledged multi-timbral units.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby piRoN » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am

No worries, Ruff. I generally do the same, but the Prophet 2000 is so brilliant at producing weird fantastical acoustic sounds that it's one of the few vintage samplers I bother multisampling on. I don't know why, but it just seems to have a knack for making things sound like they're being recorded from a physical source rather than being electronically generated. I'm not talking horrible new-age instrumental patches, more like "Hey, I just strung this builders' line over an old apple crate, and it sounds wild!" type sounds.

Unfortunately even basic multisampling tasks (setting up a simple drum patch, for example) can get pretty annoying just because of the need to go through and set all the map parameters to their middle setting. And with the limited transposition range on the Prophet, it's difficult to avoid multisampling on any sort of tonal patches.

I actually just contacted the author of this software and suggested a "flatten map parameters" button for the above reason, which he says he's going to implement. He also says he's getting a lot of reports of problems with certain midi interfaces, which is a shame. It works flawlessly with my ESI interface.
piRoN

Return to Samplers