What is the best basic sampler/sequencer???

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

What is the best basic sampler/sequencer???

Postby epsilon-caste » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm

I play synthesiser and am in a band and was wondering if I could get some advice on a good all rounder sequencer for me to start with? I am no dj so am not particularly looking for anything with a load of preset drum sounds or beats etc. Want something I could play my synthesizer or a guitar or a voice through but can save them so they are still there next time I turn the thing on as well as easy sampling and manipulating in live play, as I dont want something that leaves me scrolling for hours. Also reasonably priced would be good as well (not that I'm asking too much already haha). Was considering one of korgs infinite number of Electribes but not sure if this would be appropriate. Basically I just want something I could use to create walls of multiple sound as I only have the one synthesiser. Also something that is easy to manipulate and use for changing tempo and effects etc. :)
epsilon-caste

Advertisement:

Re: What is the best basic sampler/sequencer???

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 am

For live performance it's the Akai MPC series...start looking there and if nothing meets your needs, go from there.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby garranimal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 am

roland/boss has a few dj/groove samplers like the sp-202/404/505/808 w/ built-in effects.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby Hugo76 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:51 am

The Roland SP 606 might be good for your purposes
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 am

I'd pick up an Akai MPC 2000XL or MPC 500 if you're strqpped for cash & call it a day. You can load as many or as little sounds as you want onto them. The 2000XL is a really easy machine to learn on & sample with too. You can map out an entire keyboard of sounds multi layered if you wish.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 am

As far as I know (having owned MPC1000, MPC2500, SP-202, SP-404SX, Electribe ESX-1) none of the devices mentioned so far can be used to "play my synthesizer or a guitar or a voice through but can save them so they are still there next time I turn the thing on as well as easy sampling and manipulating in live play". To do that you need either a looper that can save loops, preferably a multitrack one, or an Octatrack. Octatrack is $1200 or so, if that's too much have a look at a looper, maybe the Boss RC-30 or Digitech Stereo Jamman. A looper won't let you do a great deal of manipulation to what you're sampling, but you'll be able to record while you're playing back. Another option would by the Korg KP3.

But really the Octatrack is the best device for what you want to do, it does sequencing, sampling, looping and sample manipulation and does it all really well. I've seen them go for $800 second hand, would be worth it for you to save some money and get one of them rather than make do with things that don't quite do what you want in the meantime.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Em Pe Ge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

what about the Electrix Pro Repeater?

i've always thought about getting one to use along side my MPC1000.. i heard they're a little noisy though..
Em Pe Ge

Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Return to Samplers