Complete Beginner - What Do I Need?!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Complete Beginner - What Do I Need?!

Postby Jack_Tatty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 am

Hi there...

I'm trying to teach myself electronic music...

Now that I live out in the countryside, it's not so easy to hook up with a bunch of people in a rehearsal room so's to make noise... So, I want to look into what I need to do to go solo, as it were...

I've an idea that a sampler would be useful - but I'm not sure. I want something to help me play live, and I want something to help me get around the fact that I can't play keys with more than two fingers. With a sampler, would I be able to record a selection of different chords / sequences of chords and assign them to a single pad on a sampler? Could a sampler play the whole rhythm section of a song while I play lead lines on another instrument?

So far, all I've got access to is GarageBand (I've a keyboard controller, too), a bass guitar and a MicroKorg...

Sorry! Lots of vague questions!

Any suggestions / ideas appreciated!

Keith.
Jack_Tatty

Advertisement:

Re: Complete Beginner - What Do I Need?!

Postby Z » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't think you would want a sampler to play back chords. If you same a chord (ie, a major chord), it will be that chord on every key you play. For every key signature you chose to write or play a song with, there are a limited number of major chords that can be played in that key. For instace, if you chose C as your key sig, you can only play the follwoing major chords: C (C, E & G), F (F, A & C) and G (G, B, and D). If you played a sampled major chord on D, it would not fit the key since D major's notes are D, F# and A - F# is not in the C scale.

Sounds like you need something with a sequencer. A sequencer is like a word processor for music. You record note information either in real-time or step-time and manipulate that musical data as you see fit. You can record one passage, rewind to the beginning (or any other place) and overdub another passage. A common way to build up a song is to fisrt record a kick and snare pattern, next overdub your hi-hat pattern. Then you can lay down a bass line and then some chords. If you have difficulty playing more than 2 notes at a time, just record those 2 notes of a chord first and overdub the other notes.

Workstation keyboards integrate a synthesizer and/or sampler with a sequencer. You have not stated a budget, but the Roland Fantom X6 is a great workstation that can be picked up used for under $1K.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sounds like you just want pre-recorded backing tracks. Garage Band would do that just fine.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 am

Some synths have something called chord memory. Think alpha Juno has it.... But really you better off just practicing your keyboard skills...
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 am

Watch on youtube.com

May be of use...
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Z » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Just like a sampled chord, Chord Memory on a keyboard will play the same chord on every key.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 pm

You could still just record individually played chords and trigger the different recordings when you want to play a different chord. If you got something with 16 pads, you could record 4 variations of a looped segment, and then do that for 4 instruments and put jams together that way: Verse, chorus, bridge, solo/ fill. Or record a song into garage band and play along to it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Return to Samplers