Bit-depth in sampling. Yamaha Tx16W

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Bit-depth in sampling. Yamaha Tx16W

Postby Uptight Beats » Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 pm

I have a question, maybe it's quite obvious but..not for me..
If i have a sampler, Yamaha Tx16W in this case, can i record the sound from it to my PC when i'm pre-listening to the sample-input, or must i have the sound recorded and saved on a disk and then record that in to my pc to get the 12-bit depth etc?
It would be heaven if you could sample right through a sampler with out the need to record it on a disk first and then record on the PC, just to get a warmer depth? bit-depth tools 8-)
Uptight Beats

Advertisement:

Re: Bit-depth in sampling. Yamaha Tx16W

Postby ninja6485 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:18 pm

If you're asking what I think your asking, try it; and if passing the sound through your sampler w/o sampling into it gives you a sound you like, use it! And if you find that you have to record the audio first then play it back, well... Then you know!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby mama. » Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Uptight Beats wrote:I have a question, maybe it's quite obvious but..not for me..
If i have a sampler, Yamaha Tx16W in this case, can i record the sound from it to my PC when i'm pre-listening to the sample-input, or must i have the sound recorded and saved on a disk and then record that in to my pc to get the 12-bit depth etc?
It would be heaven if you could sample right through a sampler with out the need to record it on a disk first and then record on the PC, just to get a warmer depth? bit-depth tools 8-)

One way you could tell is if you plug a guitar into the tx-16w: the if there is any latency between the sound you play and the sound you hear, you know it is the sound passing through the A/D->D/A conversion. Even then, it may be the case it actually samples with 16-bit converters, but stores the sound in 12-bit. I believe this is the case with mpc-60 and s900/s950. The original emax even had 12-bit converters but stored samples as 8-bit.
mama.

Postby nogginj » Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 pm

If you want all the sound-colouration from the sampler, you need to sample it and play it back. Otherwise you are just monitoring the input, not necessarily any digital conversion.

Furthermore, a big part of the 'sound' of these old devices is actually in the whole package, and how it all works together. Resampling algorithms, truncation, even ways it inclines you to edit, these all contribute to 'that sound'.

Best thing might be to create the part using the vintage gear, then track that out.
nogginj

Postby stalker5000 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:52 am

you need to sample it. i have a TX16W that i spent a lot of time with a couple years ago. make sure you are using the Typhoon OS, it makes operation so much easier than the yamaha OS and adds additional features. the TX16W in my opinion does not add a lot of "12 bit character" like some other samplers will (Emax). however i think it is a very accurate sampler in the high end especially. and i like the auto pitch detection when you are sampling...really helpful sometimes!
stalker5000

Return to Samplers