Roland S760 as ghetto ADC

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Roland S760 as ghetto ADC

Postby Jay200MPH » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Hey all, just wondering if there's a way to route the analog input directly to the SPDIF out in realtime on one of these? I just want a direct signal conversion, no filters necessary.
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Advertisement:

Re: Roland S760 as ghetto ADC

Postby DX21 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:48 am

Jay200MPH wrote:Hey all, just wondering if there's a way to route the analog input directly to the SPDIF out in realtime on one of these? I just want a direct signal conversion, no filters necessary.

I'm not entirely sure if that's even possible, but I do have something you can pick up on ebay that does that for about $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical ... 0500732958
~Chicks Dig My Solid Bass~
~Time Trax~
DX21: Needs new YM2151, Pitch Knob
DX21

Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Postby madtheory » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:55 pm

But that doesn't use the S760 A to D.

Jay, try going into sampling mode with audio monitoring turned on, and see if you get the audio via S/PDIf.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby DX21 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:55 pm

madtheory wrote:But that doesn't use the S760 A to D.

Jay, try going into sampling mode with audio monitoring turned on, and see if you get the audio via S/PDIf.

Oh! I read that completely wrong. I didn't even realize he was talking about this one:
~Chicks Dig My Solid Bass~
~Time Trax~
DX21: Needs new YM2151, Pitch Knob
DX21

Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Postby 8bit9bot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:57 pm

@DX21 nice avatar ;)
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby Jay200MPH » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:21 am

madtheory wrote:But that doesn't use the S760 A to D.

Thanks, pretty sure this is working, i.e. doing exactly what I want. However it turns out the spdif port on my laptop (docking station) is output only. :-x

Was intending to make some digital recordings this way as my analog line-in is extremely crappy (and my other laptop - a nice new Macbook Pro - doesn't HAVE a line-in - WTF Apple?!) Back to the drawing board...
Jay200MPH

Postby madtheory » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:43 pm

You can get a USB to SPdif converter. But I thought you wanted the Roland sound, not save money!

But if you can afford an MBP, why can't you buy a decent audio interface? Selling the Roland would pay for it. Just convert your Roland library over to Kontakt first?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby Jay200MPH » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Heh, the Macbook is my work computer (which didn't stop me from immediately loading all my favourite music apps on it, but never mind that). Still I can't believe Apple intentionally removed line-in from the "full featured pro model" that 99% of music industry types seem to use. A proper interface is on the horizon eventually... Honestly it's not a matter of being able to afford one, it's a matter of finding one I like. A lot of them seem to be loaded with extra BS 'features' I don't want, made in a Chinese dungeon as cheaply as possible, and then sold for pro-gear amount of money. Plus my general hatred of USB devices doesn't help.

The 'Roland sound' of which you speak is more a feature of the earlier samplers - S330, etc. This one does a very clean 16-bit 44kHz ADC with very little sound coloration unless you start using the onboard processing & filters (which are GREAT.) ...which is giving me ideas about using it as a realtime filter module. Hmm.

It looks like I can build an SPDIF recording header for the PCI soundcard I also have in the dock for peanuts. Will give this another try.
Jay200MPH

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 am

When did mac stop supplying the in/out ?! The 2009-2011 models had a combined port for sure, don't know after that. I was about to post that they're combined, but I guess I'm wrong now. But honestly, they weren't that good. Also- what's up with all the judgment lately and people assuming what other members can and can't afford ?! Fucking weird. And I'm not really directing this to you mad, just something I have noticed A LOT in the past few months.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby madtheory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I know you were not directing it at me sequentialsofshock, but I'd like to clarify that I was not being judgemental. I was trying to use logic to find a solution to Jay's issue. I can see how it would come across as judgemental, but that was not my intention.

Actually Jay I think your Roland does have a "sound", although as you say it's only a little bit. I like it, kind of glassy in a good way. Better than the pre S6000 Akais (which to me sounded grainy in a bad way), different to the warm/ fat thing that all of the Emu samplers seem to do.

So you have a PCI dock for the Mac? Is that Thunderbolt?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Jay200MPH » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:26 pm

No worries guys, no offense was intended or taken from Madtheory's post above. It's a legit question after all. (I've been intending to get a proper interface for ages but there's always something I want a little bit more...)

I have a dock for my personal laptop which is a Dell D430 running Linux, but recording on it sucks with the noisy Intel onboard audio. I'm also running a Terratec C-Media based PCI card which is marginally better. BTW the Macbook is a 2012 13" model which lacks the combined line in/out port for cheapness reasons but retains such ever so useful features as a wired ethernet jack & DVD drive.
Jay200MPH

Return to Samplers