Sampler with realtime sample pause and continue function?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Sampler with realtime sample pause and continue function?

Postby HUBA » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Are there any samplers that allow for the sample playback to pause on note off and continue from the pause point on next note on, all in non quantized realtime?
HUBA

Advertisement:

Re: Sampler with realtime sample pause and continue function

Postby ellaguru » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 pm

for "note off" you mean pushing/not pushing a pad, or you mean a note receved from external midi gear?
if the answer is yes for the first question, then there are lot of samplers that do that, i mean many sampler "drum machine style" (boss/roland SP series, zoom st224, yamaha su10/su200,akai s20/akai remix16, -to be confirmed: ensoniq asrx and akai mpc series...)
ellaguru

Postby HUBA » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. I'd prefer a sampler with MIDI input.

I mean realtime playable MIDI notes that will trigger a sample like normal, BUT after the first keypress, instead of retriggering from its beginning each time another key is pressed, the sample continue from the point it was, exactly at note off time of the last key played. The sample is paused (and muted, not looped or anything) during each note off time. This will go on until the sample is played through.

So a sample of someone saying "hello" could be played h-e-ll-o with four keypresses, and even if one waits for more time than it takes to say "hello" after releasing the first key, the sample would still trigger from the letter "e" with the next keypress. Yes? ;)

Will those you mentioned there allow for this?
HUBA

Postby ellaguru » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:04 pm

HUBA wrote:I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. I'd prefer a sampler with MIDI input.

I mean realtime playable MIDI notes that will trigger a sample like normal, BUT after the first keypress, instead of retriggering from its beginning each time another key is pressed, the sample continue from the point it was, exactly at note off time of the last key played. The sample is paused (and muted, not looped or anything) during each note off time. This will go on until the sample is played through.

So a sample of someone saying "hello" could be played h-e-ll-o with four keypresses, and even if one waits for more time than it takes to say "hello" after releasing the first key, the sample would still trigger from the letter "e" with the next keypress. Yes? ;)

Will those you mentioned there allow for this?

ok
now i see better what you mean
i can say for sure that all the samplers i mentioned don't do that, except for the asrx and the mpcs wich idon't know perfectly to say this...(i didn't mention the elektron octatrack and maschine: i don't know them at all)
the ones i mentioned don't do that directly, but maybe there are workarounds for that thing with those machines
ellaguru

Postby Hugo76 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 am

I have a feeling the V-Synth will do this, but can't say for sure at the moment.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby HUBA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:08 am

Hugo76 wrote:I have a feeling the V-Synth will do this, but can't say for sure at the moment.

Only way the V-synth will do it is by detecting 'events' automatically beforehand, for later to play the events one by one as you press a key again and again. There's no way to place event points by note off in realtime.
HUBA

Postby Hugo76 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 am

HUBA wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:I have a feeling the V-Synth will do this, but can't say for sure at the moment.

Only way the V-synth will do it is by detecting 'events' automatically beforehand, for later to play the events one by one as you press a key again and again. There's no way to place event points by note off in realtime.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pflosi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah, the V-Synth detects transients and plays from there. Similar to what the OP wants here, but not exactly there yet (i.e., the next keypress will not start from where the last one stopped, but from where the next detected transient is)

Very funky feature on the V nonetheless :thumbright:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby ellaguru » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

as Hugo said, on the vsynth you can do something similair with the time trip pad, but the result it's a bit glitchy/noisy, maybe with practice and with certain samples it's better , who knows
ellaguru

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 am

Huh?

The V-Synth does this easily, just change it from re-trigger to legato, or whatever nomenclature they use on the Osc screen.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:24 am

You might not be able to use the keyboard as a play/pause trigger with your samples, but you can get creative with your chopping/looping to split a sample across multiple keys to recreate the sound you hear in your head. If the Vsynth is detecting transients and creating points to trigger from and assigning those points to different keys, the playability will be pretty much the same as what I described, but possibly not the play/pause effect.

If I understand what you're saying, you mean like if I were looking at a wave on a computer and a little line that we can see scroll from beginning to end as the sample plays, what you want is on the key press the sample starts playing (line starts moving), and then when the key's released, instead of returning to the beginning, the line stops where it is, and on the next key press it begins from that point, as though playback of the sample were just paused.

One alternative idea to getting this effect would be to use a simple sound recorder when you want to do this, and just hit play/ pause with a recording of whatever it is you want to do this with.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby HUBA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

tallowwaters wrote:Huh?

The V-Synth does this easily, just change it from re-trigger to legato, or whatever nomenclature they use on the Osc screen.

For real? Hmm.. I'll check it out again.

ninja6485 wrote:If I understand what you're saying, you mean like if I were looking at a wave on a computer and a little line that we can see scroll from beginning to end as the sample plays, what you want is on the key press the sample starts playing (line starts moving), and then when the key's released, instead of returning to the beginning, the line stops where it is, and on the next key press it begins from that point, as though playback of the sample were just paused.

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do.

Anyways, I figured out a way to do it in Reason. :)

Would still be cool to have this effect in hardware though. I prefer to leave the computer out of the realtime jamming recording business for MIDI sync/latency reasons.
HUBA

Postby blavatsky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:52 am

Pretty sure the roland SP404sx will do a pause/resume (but i don't think any of the other SPs do....)
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MV8800, Minibrute, Fusion, SP404sx, SP555, Venom, Juno 106, X-Station, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby ellaguru » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 am

blavatsky wrote:Pretty sure the roland SP404sx will do a pause/resume (but i don't think any of the other SPs do....)

hi man!!
how are you?
sure that the 404 can do that?
cheers mate!
ellaguru

Return to Samplers