Finally tried the Fairlight Pro app..

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Finally tried the Fairlight Pro app..

Postby D-Collector » Fri May 02, 2014 5:48 pm

So, last May I bought my father a new ipad mini as a gift hoping he would find it useful for his small business work. But he only uses it to play free slots games (?) and sometime ago he kinda offered it to me for use if I wanted to, as he felt he wasn't taking full advantage of it. So I updated to the latest iOS and so on.

Then I did something I have wanted to do for some time, namely try out the Fairlight app.

Well...

-The program is generally buggy and runs quite sluggish on the iPad mini.
-It crashes every other time I try to save something.
-In Page R, recording notes in real time with the on screen keyboard is impossible due to a horrible lag that sets in after the first note. It works OK in step mode.

Either this program is horrible optimized or the iPad is a weak piece of shit. I have not tried entering with a midi keyboard. You would think a modern ipad app would run at least better than your average early 90s mod tracker. (which were generally solid.) The good thing is Apple refunded me after I voiced these complaints to them. God knows I'm not going to pay to be a beta tester. The app certainly has a distinct unfinished feel to it.

You guys probably know I am a pretty big Fairlight enthusiast, so actually I am quite sad. To put it short, it was not what I expected for that price.

:?
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Finally tried the Fairlight Pro app..

Postby synthroom » Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Interesting.
I installed it on my mother-in-law's ipad 4 and I've not had any issues with it.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby tomorrowstops » Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Interesting. It appears the biggest market for the ipad is: old people!

And yes, my mother has one too...

:mrgreen:
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby synthroom » Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 pm

My mother-in-law got her's with an iPhone contract. I don't think she really uses the iPad at all...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby Esus » Sat May 03, 2014 2:28 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Interesting. It appears the biggest market for the ipad is: old people!

And yes, my mother has one too...

:mrgreen:

I think you're right.
The last few flights I've been on I've noticed older people (especially women) using iPads as readers.
And the last time I was at an Apple Store, a 70-ish woman was warning the Apple Care employee taking her iPad in for service not to lose her recipe app. :?:

Weird.
Esus

Postby adekoyote » Mon May 05, 2014 6:35 am

Is the app worth 50 dollars?
adekoyote

Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Postby gcoudert » Mon May 05, 2014 3:12 pm

I use the Fairlight app on an iPad (at 46, I probably qualify for the 'old people' category) and yes, it's a little buggy but still usable. What really bothers me is the absence of MIDI Clock sync and I wish there was some sort of hardware available to give me eight mono audio outputs. If you know of such a device, please let me know. I have to mute tracks one by one and record the output to Cubase in several passes, which is somewhat time consuming and not exactly accurate.
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Gear: Roland JP-50, R8, JV1080 + Orchestral & Vintage Synth cards, Akai S5000, CME UF8, Fender Telecaster, Korg AX3000G.

Return to Samplers