Korg Kaoss Pad Konfusion

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg Kaoss Pad Konfusion

Postby soundstorm » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi guys.

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I'm only hearing stuff out of the left channel....sometimes.

Setup:

I'm trying to set up my Kaoss Pad KP-2 in between my Juno-106 and the mixing desk. All inline, no send/return.

I run 1/4" L/R from Juno-106 into RCA Line In L/R on KP-2. I run RCA Line Out L/R to 1/4" L/R stereo channel on my Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro.

KP-2 Input switch is toggled to Line. KP-2 connection setting on back is set to Direct.

The problem:

When no effect is active (not touching screen and Hold button not active) I only hear unprocessed audio out of the left channel. Now, cycling through the effects [1, 2, 3, 4 ...] I get different behaviors. For some effects I get processed sound out of left only, for others sound out of left and right.

Examples: 00 - L only, 01 - L only, 02 - Both, 03 - Both, 04 - L only, 05 - Both, 06 L only, 07-10 - Both, 11 - L only, 12 Both ....

Effect 13 is Autopan and is L only. I'm basically hearing a pulse in the L. Effect 39 is 3D Pan and suffers similar issues.

The cables I'm using are RCA L/R on one end and 1/4" L/R on the other. Am I using the wrong cables or something?

Thanks for any help!!
Juno 106, DX-7, Wavestation A/D, EA-1, Dotcom 22 space modular, Akai S2000
soundstorm

Advertisement:

Yikes...looks like it's the Juno stereo output that's acting

Postby soundstorm » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Time to open her up and prepare for surgery.
Juno 106, DX-7, Wavestation A/D, EA-1, Dotcom 22 space modular, Akai S2000
soundstorm

Re: Korg Kaoss Pad Konfusion

Postby Zamise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:17 pm

bypass your KP and see if your still getting stereo seperation, if you are its happening before the KP. If it isn't then you've prob got a bad input on it. Wires usually are the culprit in these cases, so try exchangeing your cables too. Although the KP inputs and outputs, especially on the KP1, seem to go out easy, but I'd not put it past a cable to go bad too. When the KPs effects kick in it process them into stereo even if its just one side then sends both sides out, delays it will happen the most on cause they cross channels as they go back forth, and that maybe where your konfusion may be happening? Prob a bad input on the KP or a bad cable or connector or jack.

If its a bad input and its a KP1 you can probably crack the thing open and see where the soddering points have come loose off the main board, resodder them. I had one that I did this to a couple times, the KP2s they gave they put the inputs on a seperate board so it can move a little more when plugging and unplugging and don't tend to break as easy and those boards can be replaced without trashing the whole unit.

No idea if its a KP3 or one of miniKPs whatever they are called.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby dnial » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:53 pm

"Wires usually are the culprit in these cases, so try exchangeing your cables too."

i've got a bin full of cables and run into that problem a lot. it's usually a case where i'm using an instrument or mic cable and not a patch cable etc.
dnial

Return to HELP!