dodgey jog wheel on EMU XL7

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

dodgey jog wheel on EMU XL7

Postby kyodai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:08 pm

O.K. I love my XL7 but at the moment I’m only using it as a sound module and with presets (except what can be programmed via the knobs) mostly because the jog wheel has become totally useless and I’ve switched to using Ableton Live as a sequencer for my studio.

But back to the XL7 If I’m trying to adjust a parameter lower (say tempo) I’ll slowly turn the jog wheel counter clockwise the value may go down a bit but soon it’s going up rather than down, then suddenly it jumps to its max value.

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Can it be fixed with just cleaning the jog wheel area? I’ve also been thinking about sending it to a tech. (I'll ask at my Local music store) Another option is getting a MP7 and swapping out the board with the jog wheel on it. This has the avantage of adding the MP's ROM. Or maybe any of the command stations if sold without ROMs (I’ve seen this on ebay on occasion) which would hopefully be cheaper, and using the rest for parts (if/when they go on mine). I figure I can swap out the board with little problem if I have to.

any experienced with this or other suggestions would be appreciated.
kyodai

Advertisement:

Postby Altitude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Sounds like the encoder is either worn or the traces its connected to are broken. I had a similar problem with my sampler and the cause was broken traces which is an easy fix. Any halfway competent tech will be able to figure it out easily
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby kyodai » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:38 pm

I got it sorted. a couple of blasts with some deoxit D5 on/under the encoder did the trick. thanks for the help.
kyodai

Return to HELP!