Siel Opera 6 ROMs

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Siel Opera 6 ROMs

Postby Spav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Does anyone know if there are any ROM's or binary files anywhere (or can copy them) for using the Opera 6 and turning omni mode off, I really don't want to add a midi filter. On the Expander I can select the midi channel, but not on the Opera. I have seen there are some DK600 ROM binaries http://sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/siel/dk600.htm, does any one know if these will run in an Opera 6 and if they have the omni off option?
Kurzweil K2500X +KDFX & K2500RS +KDFX | Korg Triton Pro & Triton Rack | Siel Opera6 & Expander | Boss BX-60 | Tascam US-1641 | Edirol UM550 | Sonar 8.5 Producer | Stageline PPA-100 | Roland KC350 & KC300
http://www.keyparts.co.uk
Spav

Gear: Live Rig: | Kurzweil K2500 +KDFX | Korg Trition Classic | Roland KC550 |
Band: From Dusk 'til Dawn

Advertisement:

Re: Siel Opera 6 ROMs

Postby schmidtc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:29 pm

It was only the last few dk-600's that where poly channel. not memorized so you have to select the midi channel each power up like on the juno 106. As far as I know this feature did not make it into the opera 6's.
schmidtc

Postby adamstan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 am

Spav wrote:Does anyone know if there are any ROM's or binary files anywhere (or can copy them) for using the Opera 6 and turning omni mode off, I really don't want to add a midi filter. On the Expander I can select the midi channel, but not on the Opera. I have seen there are some DK600 ROM binaries http://sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/siel/dk600.htm, does any one know if these will run in an Opera 6 and if they have the omni off option?

WOW. There are roms online :-) Thnaks for the link. They are labeled "op6new", so probably they contain newest OS - with Omni Off etc. The only difference between DK-600 and Opera is shape of frontpanel buttons. All schematics are exactly the same. So this OS should work with Opera. Even the filename hints it - "op6".
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby Spav » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Mine is a MK3 O6 and only operates in Omni mode, so let me know if the ROM's work in your Opera as I only have the devices actually in the machine at the moment, so i would have to erase before reprogramming. I have just got my Opera fully working again, hardest job was cleaning the contacts, new battery fitted and the wav of the factory settings I found on the web worked without problem. I imported it to Sonar set the level to 0dB and stuck a jack in the tape from socket.

I have just replaced the battery in the expander, fixed a pot in the PSU that was the cause of a noisy power rail, I will try a download to this box tonight then I just need to get the scope out and set up the pair of them again. :D
Kurzweil K2500X +KDFX & K2500RS +KDFX | Korg Triton Pro & Triton Rack | Siel Opera6 & Expander | Boss BX-60 | Tascam US-1641 | Edirol UM550 | Sonar 8.5 Producer | Stageline PPA-100 | Roland KC350 & KC300
Spav

Postby adamstan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Spav wrote:Mine is a MK3 O6 and only operates in Omni mode, so let me know if the ROM's work in your Opera as I only have the devices actually in the machine at the moment, so i would have to erase before reprogramming.

I have blank EPROMs, but I have to build or buy EPROM burner, as I don't own one currently.

Once I get it - I will report here :-)
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby Spav » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:35 am

I have been trying to get 2532 EPROMs on Ebay but without any luck so I have adopted a different approach, I have built an adapter that plugs into both ROM sockets and will take any 27 series EPROM from 2764 upwards (32 pin devices included) however only 8K is actually mapped into the machine. Today I loaded the 2 OP6 ROM's into my Dataman S3 Programmer/Romulator, plugged it into my adapter and the synth has run for 3 hours without a problem. I will repeat the process with the Expander eventually.

I am currently trying to build an image from the disassembly listings I have once I get a binary match, it modification time :D

Please add any request for Software Mods for OP6/DK600/Expander to this list:
OMNI mode Off (OP6)
Save Midi Channel number on power down (OP6/Exp)
Fix SysEx transfer so no button pressing/control messages required (OP6/Exp)
Bulk dump - all programs (OP6/Exp)
Spav

Postby adamstan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

I am currently trying to build an image from the disassembly listings I have once I get a binary match, it modification time

I would add Control Change for knobs to this wishlist :-) . Sadly, it wouldn't work for PitchBend and ModWheel, because these two aren't connected to ADC - OTOH this gives them smooth response :-)
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Postby Spav » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 am

I have now assembled an image that 100% as per the ROM's that were posted on the web (op6new6.bin,op6new7.bin), it is in the romulator and working. I can turn OMNI mode OFF (Pgm 96) and unit responds correctly to midi channels, so these images are later than mine (or someone elses hack). I will put them some where safe. There does not appear to be any way easy to get OMNI mode back on other than a reset, OMNI OFF is not stored in NVRAM. However the midi channel number is, so 96/Enter/Enter is needed to turn it OMNI off and select your previous midi channel. I did note that it should respond to OMNI ON/OFF midi controller commands. The midi channel is displayed as 0-15. The unit will also treat MONO MODE and POLY MODE messages as OMNI mode messages.

As a test I have started with some simple modifications using the op6new code as the base:
1. Ext LED is a midi activity indicator, LED on at the start of a midi frame and off at the end, it actually inverts the current LED state (however when EXT is on you cannot see the flash off)
2. Midi channel is now 1-16 on the display (eventually 00 will turn OMNI back on and OMNI mode will be saved)
3. MONO ON and POLY ON messages are not actioned but no longer act as OMNI message and will turn all notes off
Spav

Re: Siel Opera 6 ROMs - Update

Postby Spav » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Currently being tested
  1. Ext LED is a midi activity indicator, LED on at the start of a midi frame and off at the end, it actually inverts the current LED state (however when EXT is on you cannot see the flash off)
  2. Midi channel is now 1-16 on the display, channel 00 will turn OMNI mode back on
  3. MONO ON and POLY ON messages are not actioned but no longer act as OMNI message and will turn all notes off
  4. Midi Requests for System Exclusive dumps
  5. Easy manual sending of system exclusive messages
  6. System Exclusive Messages:
    Existing message format including control message to enable write accepted and sent
    New format single message format for direct write to store accepted and sent (EXT selection not needed)
    Free mode front panel controls and switches accepted and sent
Still to come
  1. Battery backing of OMNI Mode OFF
  2. Mono Mode Operation
  3. Play Odd/Even Notes allows 12 note polyphoney with expander
  4. Accepts more standard control messages
  5. Send/Receive short Sysex messages for all controls actions
  6. Bulk dump
Spav

Postby Spav » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:04 am

Sorry for the delay. The new band has taken up most of my free time for the last 5 months, but now we have a working set list. This band is a order of magnitude better than the last one, so much so I have to lift my game to keep up with the other guys, plus we are gigging most weekends at the moment. Anyway, we will be having a few months off after November, the lead is singer putting on weight!!!

So back to the techy stuff, I have already drafted a new extended MIDI spec for the new firmware. I will publish this somewhere and post the link here. The firmware is complete (I think) but some of the new MIDI is untested, but the box still runs and does not crash so I am reasonably happy with it. I will try to build a full exercise suite and run it as a midi file so it can be played to test the new software. I will also build a test file for the existing MK3 firmware.

Extending the synth to respond to new control messages did not work out too well as there is insufficient resolution in the DtoA conversion. Also the resolution for keyboard control is too coarse to have any useful portamento. I am debating a new DtoA to get round this issue.

On a hardware note, I have a plugin board that fits the two ROM sockets and allows a single 24, 28 and 32 pin EPROM to be used, the 27 series larger devices are much more readily available. I will also publish the circuit and the stripboard plan to make a prototype.
Spav

Return to HELP!