SIDStation and Quasimidi POLYMORPH power adapter - WTF do I?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

SIDStation and Quasimidi POLYMORPH power adapter - WTF do I?

Postby Afamily » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 am

I'm in need of a power supply for the SIDStation and Quasimidi Polymorph... could someone please link me to a vendor selling such items? I know the sidstation is 6v @ 400ma. The Polymorph is a 10V but, can't recall the amperage... any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.
Afamily

Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

Advertisement:

Re: SIDStation and Quasimidi POLYMORPH power adapter - WTF d

Postby Mission Difficult » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:44 am

Pretty sure 2A would be a safe bet. I have a Sirius, 309, and Raven and they take 1.5A, 2A, and 2A respectively. Strange that it's not labeled though. Also make sure you get the polarity right. Should be positive center pin.
Mission Difficult

Postby burnn_out! » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:04 pm

good luck locating the quasimidi power supply, they are pretty hard to come by online or otherwise. as for the sid, did you try contacting elektron or checking their forums? at least their still in business and should be able to at the very least direct you towards a company who supplies the proper adapters. anyways best of luck, those are some great devices!
burnn_out!

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 pm

burnn_out! wrote:good luck locating the quasimidi power supply, they are pretty hard to come by online or otherwise. as for the sid, did you try contacting elektron or checking their forums? at least their still in business and should be able to at the very least direct you towards a company who supplies the proper adapters. anyways best of luck, those are some great devices!

Very few synths that make use of external "wall wart" PSUs require the exact voltage stated on the rear panel. In fact, most linear wall warts don't give the voltage they state anyway because their load regulation is so poor. In the case of 10 volts on the Polymorph it's just important that it's at least 9v and preferably no more than 12V. I would be amazed if a 12V DC centre positive PSU was a problem. What's very important is that it's a centre positive jack and a PSU of delivering at least 1.8 Amps. I personally would go for a switched mode PSU too as the linear ones have a nasty habit of inducing mains hum into your mixer wiring - esp. if you have a whole line of them plugged into your distribution block! :)

One of the main reasons people sell synths on eBay as "spares or repairs" that use external PSUs is because they don't understand the concept of polarity or the specific requirement of an AC or DC power supply. Either the user has plugged completely the wrong thing in and blown it up or, and this happens with embarassing regularity, there is nothing wrong with the kit at all and the user doesn't realise he needs an AC power supply... eg. most Alesis FX units requiring 9 volts AC. Again, it doesn't need to be exactly 9 volts - it could be 10 or 12 in most cases.

Most music shops are pretty helpful when it comes to sourcing spare external PSUs.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby Afamily » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:35 am

All this help is very good.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... co_page=54

So with this link, given my power requirements, could someone assist me with a selection? My apologies for a requested hand to hold, I just want to make sure its the right one, between the unregulated, regulated, and linear.

I'm thinking the linear 2.1mm 6v should be good for the sidstation, and the polymorph I could grab a 9v or so... I know the pos is the tip on that one.
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.
Afamily

Postby HideawayStudio » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Afamily wrote:All this help is very good.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... co_page=54

So with this link, given my power requirements, could someone assist me with a selection? My apologies for a requested hand to hold, I just want to make sure its the right one, between the unregulated, regulated, and linear.

I'm thinking the linear 2.1mm 6v should be good for the sidstation, and the polymorph I could grab a 9v or so... I know the pos is the tip on that one.

If I was based in the US I'd gladly offer you a part number and sales outlet - I will have to leave that one up to someone on your side of the pond :)
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby Cybercardinal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:49 am

I just checked the original power supply to the Polymorph and it is 9V 2000mA
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Afamily » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 am

THANK YOU for the polymorph ref. I DL'd the manual and it didn't inform me of such info. However, the case itself says 10V something... but I'll take VSE's word over the fact to be quite honest. I'm serious. 9v 2k ma.... got it. That's awesome. THANK YOU!
Afamily

Return to HELP!