Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Postby valverec » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I just bought 2 EMu Proteus 2000's on eBay from the same person, and it's like the contrast is turned all the way up on the display, so that the text rectangles for each letter are all the way dark. I can barely read it at any angle. I've tried adjusting the screen view angle, but that doesn't do much. It just helps me barely be able read the screen from a very narrow angle. It's just really strange that both are doing the exact same thing. I don't see a contrast adjustment on here.

If I were able to adjust contrast, that would probably fix the problem. Am I missing something? I also did a factory reset and that did nothing. I opened the top, and I don't see any internal pot to adjust the contrast. Has anyone seen a problem like this before?
valverec

Advertisement:

Re: Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Postby valverec » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Does anyone know where I might go to find info on this problem? Is there a good site for EMu tech help?
valverec

Postby rhino » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm

My first guess is this:
Most LCD displays have a built-in negative-voltage generator to bias the pixels. Since it's likely that both displays came from the same manufacture - maybe from the same batch - that if something failed in one, it could well fail in the other. Replacement displays should be easy to find.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby valverec » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info. It looks like it'll probably cost almost as much to get a new screen as it is to just buy another Proteus 2000. Bummer.
valverec

Postby rhino » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 pm

"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby pricklyrobot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 am

valverec wrote:Thanks for the info. It looks like it'll probably cost almost as much to get a new screen as it is to just buy another Proteus 2000. Bummer.
Yeah, http://www.eprelectronics.com (good source for Proteus/Command Station parts in general) has replacement LCD's, but they're $78.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to HELP!