Casio cz101 problem....

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio cz101 problem....

Postby Projectile » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 am

I just bought a used casio cz101 and have been having trouble getting the multi-voice mode to work. I read the manual and everything else on the synth works exactly as described, but I cant for the life of me get it to play more than two presets simultaneously.

In the manual it says that in mono (solo) mode the cz101 can operate as 4 separate monophonic synthesizers accepting midi data on 4 separate channels. If I select channel 1 as the basic channel, that means that it should be able to accept midi data on channels 1-4 to play 4 separate voices. So, I put the synth in solo mode, set the 4 voice channels up with 4 different presets, and then try triggering those sounds from my sequencer with 4 different patterns on channels 1-4. According to the manual this should work, but when I try to play the 4 different presets I get a bunch of garbage out. None of the presets sound right, and 2 of them usually sound like duplicates of each other.

I hope somebody else who has a cz101 or cz1000 can give me some help here. The multi mode was one of the reasons I bought this synth, and it would be a shame if I can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Projectile

Advertisement:

Re: Casio cz101 problem....

Postby Projectile » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't think anybody is actually watching this thread or gives a rats ass about using the mult-voice mode on a cz101, but I did end getting this to work. So, I'm just going to post the solution here in case somebody having the same problem digs this thread up in a search 3 years from now (When CZ101s will be hot vintage gear). If that's not you, then just move along.

The solution was, after setting up the desired patches on each voice channel, I
had to exit out of solo mode (turn 'on' polyphony so that the cz101 only
receives midi data on a single channel). Then, I turn solo mode back 'on' and
the synth finally recognizes all of the voices on each individual channel and
plays the appropriate patches that were set up before.

I don't know if this is just a glitch on my particular cz101 or what. It seems
weird that you would have to exit multi-voice mode and then turn it back on
again to get it to work. It definitely doesn't mention anything about it in the
manual. But hey, it works! That's all I really care about. All it really means
is that I just have to tap the 'solo' button twice after any time I edit the
voices. Weird.
Projectile

Return to HELP!