Is my CS01 malfunctioning or are Yamaha just odd?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Is my CS01 malfunctioning or are Yamaha just odd?

Postby gunark » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Hello,

I've a CS01 and when bought I was told there were some issues - no res and sliders for several parameters that didn't go all the way. However I opened it up and seemed to solve the res issue by turning up the trimpot (though the owner swears he'd not touched it), and frankly now it's pretty nasty! However:

While several of the sliders don't go all the way with the case on, without it they are happy to slide all the way. It seems with the case on the slider covers hit the case preventing full travel. I don't get it - pots are fine, case is fine, but together....strange. No bends, no bashing, CS is in good condition.

Does the VCA EG depth slider just act as another volume control? I.e. Not as an adjustment between gate and Env like on other synths or should it work like that, varying the amount of envelope on VCA? Just seems a waste otherwise and limits the synth a little.

Thanks!
gunark

Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Advertisement:

Re: Is my CS01 malfunctioning or are Yamaha just odd?

Postby madtheory » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 am

The res thing is normal, the slider travel issue is not. Clearly the case is bent or misaligned in some way, but you don't have an undamaged CS01 to compare it to. Try the service manual?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Re: Is my CS01 malfunctioning or are Yamaha just odd?

Postby gunark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:45 pm

madtheory wrote:The res thing is normal, the slider travel issue is not. Clearly the case is bent or misaligned in some way, but you don't have an undamaged CS01 to compare it to. Try the service manual?

Thank you - I'll have to take some pics but as far as I can tell it's fine, no bend or warp and it looks like it's lead a charmed life really. Strange.

Still cant figure the VCA slider though..
gunark

Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Return to HELP!