Arp Solus Repair

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Arp Solus Repair

Postby AfternoonReview » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Hey all - I have an Arp Solus that behaves as if the low D key is constantly being pressed even though it's not. I can get sounds from the keys below the low D (the Arp Solus gives priority to lower notes), but pressing the keys to the right of the low D gets no results. So I assume something under the key is stuck in the "activated" or "pressed" position. I've never opened an analog synth before, so I'm afraid of screwing something up. Has anyone ever worked on an Arp before? Any ideas on what steps I need to take?

Thanks!
Last edited by AfternoonReview on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AfternoonReview

Advertisement:

Re: Arp Solus Repair

Postby schmidtc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Welcome to VSE,

Lots of people repair Arps so finding someone to work on it depends on where you're located. There's a good chance the key contact is shorting to the bus-bar and just need to be re-positioned. This is potentially a repair you can do yourself with just a screwdriver. Step 1.) Take the whole thing apart so you can get access to the underpart of the keyboard. Step 2.) Look at how the keys make electrical contact when they're pressed, do what needs to be done bending the contact to make that key behave like the others.

If step 2 it's not obvious or simple -> take it to a professional.
schmidtc

Postby AfternoonReview » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Sounds simple enough.

Do I just pull straight up on the sliders and knobs to take them off? I don't wanna break em.
Anything tricky I need to worry about as far as taking it apart is concerned? I think I read somewhere that something (wire or something) might be attached to the top panel?

I've searched all over the web and can't seem to find any vids, write ups, etc of Arp Solus repair so I'm goin in blind here.

Thanks again
AfternoonReview

Postby AfternoonReview » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 pm

I did find this:

Obsolete Synthesis Axxe Restoration

I might try to contact that dude...
AfternoonReview

Postby schmidtc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 am

You shouldn't need to remove the slider caps, and try not to as they crack really easily. Most Arps have a panel that unbolts from the bottom to allow access to the keyboard bus bar.
schmidtc

Postby AfternoonReview » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:30 am

Good to know about the sliders - I just tried pulling a few up and they didn't give at all, so I stopped, thank god.

The Solus is built into its own road case, and it doesn't look like there is a panel on the bottom of it. It seems that the bottom is all one solid piece...
AfternoonReview

Postby AfternoonReview » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm

So to answer my own question - It turns out that you need to remove all of the screws from the bottom of the solus and also the two rubber feet closest to the handle of the case.

You also need to remove 6 screws from the perimeter of the top control panel. The one on the left and right side of the panel and the four along the top. You can then slide the keyboard out, and press up on the two little wood panels on each side of the keyboard. Those will lift up and give you the space needed to get the keyboard out a little more. If you wanna take the keyboard completely out, make sure to disconnect the wire going from it to the circuit board.
AfternoonReview

Return to HELP!