Baldwin SM-100 (Rebadge Proteus/1) Special Factory User Bank

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Baldwin SM-100 (Rebadge Proteus/1) Special Factory User Bank

Postby Herius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 pm

I recently acquired my first synth module, a Baldwin SM-100, which is a re-badged version of the E-Mu Proteus/1. I was playing the factory presets and programming my own custom sounds. Eager to try out different patches, I backed up the user presets via sysex and tried sending some patches (that I found on the internet) to it. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that my new MIDI interface doesn't handle sysex correctly. The presets loaded corrupted (talk about weird sounds). I also later discovered that my backup was corrupt as well. This meant that I had unfortunately lost the user bank, which had both factory and custom patches in it. I subsequently borrowed a friend's MIDI interface to restore the "stock" Proteus/1 user bank patches and I had to reprogram my custom sounds from scratch.
I know that the original Proteus/1 user bank sysex is easily obtainable (because that is what fixed my module). But upon looking in the SM-100 manual and comparing patch names to the one in the Proteus/1 manual, I noticed that there are a few different patches that were included in the SM-100 (e.g. the Proteus/1 manual says patch 97 is "Punctuate," while the SM-100 manual says it is "Clarisynth"). After noticing the differences, I tried to find the "SM-100" version of the factory user bank, but had no luck. I have googled extensively but I can't find the SM-100 version.
I tried contacting EPR Electronics (they seem to be the choice for getting legacy E-mu gear serviced) and one of their techs sent me a reply stating that they do not have the SM-100 user bank sysex file nor could they put me in touch with those that would have it. I also contemplated contacting the Emulator Archive but I could not find any contact info. I do not believe Gibson (current owners of Baldwin) would be any help because they are focused on acoustic instruments and guitars at this time. And, of course, the E-mu website only has the stock Proteus/1 sysex.
I am wondering if anyone on this forum has the unique "Baldwin SM-100" version of the Proteus/1 factory sysex file or know of someone that would.
Herius

Return to HELP!