Dodgy Encoders - Novation Supernova 2

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Dodgy Encoders - Novation Supernova 2

Postby bodgecat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi everybody.

I bought a Novation Supernova 2 second hand about 5/6 years ago and I've had lots of fun with it over the years. But now it's come to the time when I fancy investing in new equipment, so alas I have to part ways with it.

I have always been cursed with a dodgy knob :lol: which appears to jump increments or sometimes even go the wrong way. I have always managed to work around this problem, but now that I am selling it I have decided to actually fix it.

I have looked through various threads mentioning this problem, and it appears to be a problem with the encoder. People have mentioned giving it a clean, and if that doesn't work then perhaps replacing it. However my problem is that the encoder is attached to the circuit board.

I have attached some pictures and circled the knob in question.

Front
http://i43.tinypic.com/15gvvbb.png

Back
http://i41.tinypic.com/2dlnhba.png

Side
http://i40.tinypic.com/24f9xz8.png

Will I have to unscrew the whole circuit board to access the encoder?

And after I clean it and it is still not working, is it hard to replace the encoder?

I do not have much knowledge on circuit boards...etc, but am not an idiot, so would it be worth fiddling around inside it to save money on sending it in to a service centre?

Apologies for the long post, I would appreciate any help or feedback.

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thank you.
bodgecat

Advertisement:

Re: Dodgy Encoders - Novation Supernova 2

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm

ehh you can spritz some deoxit into it from the top just by removing the knob, can't you?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Re: Dodgy Encoders - Novation Supernova 2

Postby C Faith » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 pm

My friend has a Novation KS4 that had the same problem. He started complaining about it and wanted to get rid of it. 3 months ago, for $50, a local repair shop replaced 4 encoders. After having it fixed he decided to keep it and is thinking about having all the endcoders replaced in the near future - or at least buying them to have on hand in case supply runs out.
C Faith

Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Return to HELP!