Korg Trident MK1 battery replacement

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Re: Korg Trident MK1 battery replacement

Postby rhino » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Several older synths - Korg and Peavey DPM come to mind - did use recharable Ni-Cad batteries. There are(were) fed a small current any time the synth was powered on - not just plugged in - to keep them charged. Modern Lithium cells DO NOT like to be subjected to current flowing IN to them. They WILL overheat and vomit all over everything. Not quite as corrosive as the Ni-Cad juce, but still nasty. You can check the schematic to see where the charging voltage comes in - usualy through a diode and resister - and disconnect that part of the circuit. Watch that you don't break the circuit from the battery to the memory chips.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Trident MK1 battery replacement

Postby Zardoz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 pm

I thought that the battery received current also while it was turned off and plugged in.

My Trident has now been whitout a battery for awhile, I haven't had time to get to finding and replacing it. And also have been getting more comfortable tweaking sounds everytime without recalling saved patches.

I had removed it fearing it would maybe leak at some point because it no longer kept its saved presets, the battery would drain out while the synth was unplugged or turned off after a while it seemed.

Before I removed the battery ( niCAd 2.4 V ) I tested it after the synth was plugged in for awhile and it went up to as much as 5 volts, and then after a day or so it slowly dropped to almost nothing.
Zardoz

Gear: Zardoz is pleased.
Band: Pecora Pecora

Previous

Return to HELP!