are "sawtooth" and "ramp" different terms for the same wave?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Re: are "sawtooth" and "ramp" different terms for the same w

Postby Zamise » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 am

Ah OK thanks. Just trying to understand too, apologies about crazy time ;)
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:There are minor audible differences... but very minor. I mean, I don't actually know... I'm just going by the Minimoog. The ramp and saw sound slightly different in comparison, but almost identical without comparison.

In theory a perfect ramp and a perfect saw would generate the same harmonics and therefore sound the same, the differences come from things that introduce asymmetrical changes to the waveform, such as class A circuitry or waveshapers. I'm not sure if the MM mixer is class A but the STG mixer I have which is based on the Moog CP3 runs the negative rail at -6V which introduces artifacts which make ramps and saws sound quite different compared to just running them straight. I imagine you already know this Marc but I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else reading is interested.

It's interesting that waveforms are usually depicted as amplitude/time graphs rather than amplitude/frequency graphs which I believe do a better job of describing what you're actually hearing. I understand they're not as neat for drawing on a synth's panel next to a selector knob but for other purposes they're much more practical.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Zamise » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:14 am

If I'm getting it correct now like you guys are saying, I can't speak much about using them as oscillators but totally huge difference I think when using the two different ones as a modulator/LFO source on amp and filter. What you guys are calling saw, reverse saw what I'm use to calling it, I think tends to be more useful for me, I use it to create more pluckier type sounds, vary the speed and I get plucky wobble basses like Noisia Split the Atom type sounds. Ramp or Fowrard saw doesn't work so great, sounds more Mobyish making a sound sort of reverse like having a long attack rate, blah unless on chordy choir stringy sounds or maybe pseudo reverse ducking/pumping effect if bpm synced. Anyhow, interesting discussion, hope I didn't ruin it too much for OP or anyone.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby condit79 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 am

[/quote]
In theory a perfect ramp and a perfect saw would generate the same harmonics and therefore sound the same, the differences come from things that introduce asymmetrical changes to the waveform, such as class A circuitry or waveshapers. I'm not sure if the MM mixer is class A but the STG mixer I have which is based on the Moog CP3 runs the negative rail at -6V which introduces artifacts which make ramps and saws sound quite different compared to just running them straight. I imagine you already know this Marc but I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else reading is interested.[/quote]

Wow, that's interesting stuff to know. I also have the STG mixer and I knew it was based off of Moog circuitry, but didn't realize it introduced artifacts that affect the waves. I love all of STG's stuff, mostly because it has a very specific point of view when things are designed and Eric's so passionate about certain details when he thinks up new designs.
soundcloud.com/lvoe
condit79

Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Postby Bitexion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am

Yeah, when I mix together two sawtooths 180 degrees apart from eachother, it sounds different than two sawtooths in the same phase. Sounds more gnarly and glitchy.

Singled out they sound the same.

For modulation they are totally different. Specially if you assign them to pitch modulation. In one case pitch will go slowly upwards and drop to "zero" and go back up..in the other case pitch will start high and drop slowly to "zero" and pop back to high etc.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby pflosi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

The Andromeda also has either saw or ramp on its VCO. Sounds nice together. As AG mentioned, it's funny that it outputs the waves inverted, see this thread for a discussion of it. We speculated that it's probably an amp or the vcf that inverts the waves, since it's correct with the filters bypassed...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:.

It's interesting that waveforms are usually depicted as amplitude/time graphs rather than amplitude/frequency graphs which I believe do a better job of describing what you're actually hearing. I understand they're not as neat for drawing on a synth's panel next to a selector knob but for other purposes they're much more practical.

Interesting. Do you have an example of what waves look like as amplitude/frequency graphs?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby rschnier » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:In theory a perfect ramp and a perfect saw would generate the same harmonics and therefore sound the same

That is what I based my original response on... :thumbsup:
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:In theory a perfect ramp and a perfect saw would generate the same harmonics and therefore sound the same, the differences come from things that introduce asymmetrical changes to the waveform, such as class A circuitry or waveshapers. I'm not sure if the MM mixer is class A but the STG mixer I have which is based on the Moog CP3 runs the negative rail at -6V which introduces artifacts which make ramps and saws sound quite different compared to just running them straight. I imagine you already know this Marc but I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else reading is interested.

I actually didn't in that detail! Great information!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:07 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:.

Interesting. Do you have an example of what waves look like as amplitude/frequency graphs?

Basically like this:

Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby phesago » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 pm

condit79 wrote:Yeah, mixing them both together shows you that they are definitely NOT the same. It sounds super rad. I also use saw and ramp vs each other to get some crazy lfos for modulation. Reason 586 to get yourself a modular 8-)

Def love to use them as modulations. Sometimes having a ramp LFO>FILTER sounds quite nice, as long as it subtle. Sometimes the aggressive drop in the filter amount sounds quite awful.

This was a good read :thumbleft:
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby Shleed » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Put a saw and ramp together and the result you get isn't too off from the kind of sound you get from PWM.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Postby chimney chop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Shleed wrote:Put a saw and ramp together and the result you get isn't too off from the kind of sound you get from PWM.

i take 2 steps sawtooth, you take 2 steps raaaaaamp. we get together its op po synths a ttract
chimney chop

Gear: plugiator
ti2
redback
nord stage 2
prophet 12

Previous

Return to HELP!