Can the MIDI-CV on my SEM Pro trigger my Moog Prodigy?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Can the MIDI-CV on my SEM Pro trigger my Moog Prodigy?

Postby pinky_blue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi guys.

I've never really used CV before. I recently acquired a Moog Prodigy and was wondering if I could use the MIDI to CV convertor on my SEM Pro to trigger the Moog from my DAW?

I've read through the SEM manual but I'm still not sure I really get it. I was thinking I could go from the CV/Gate outputs on the SEM to the Moog? Am I missing something? (I have an S-Trig Cable by the way).

Thanks
pinky_blue

Advertisement:

Re: Can the MIDI-CV on my SEM Pro trigger my Moog Prodigy?

Postby pinky_blue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Sorry, I meant to post this in the Help forum. Would the mods mind moving it? Thanks.
pinky_blue

Postby Z » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I've done this with the Arturia MiniBrute (Roland Fantom X6 MIDI OUT to MiniBrute MIDI IN, MBrute CV/Gate OUTs to ARP 2600 CV/Gate INs). I would assume this can be done with the SEM Pro as well. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home.

I just happened to have dusted off my Prodigy last night (the wood finish is pretty bad, so I took it apart to see what would be involved to refinish, but the wood is epoxied to the metal, bummer).
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Z » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Well, it sort-of works - at least the way I'm doing it. I've got MIDI coming from the Fantom into the SEM Pro and SEM's CV#1 OUT to Prodigy's OSC IN and SEM's Gate Out to Prodigy's Keyboard IN/OUT, since I don't have a Cinch Jones plug for the S-Trig IN/OUT, which is probably what is needed. First I tried a standard instrument cable and then an "insert" cable (single TRS plug on one end and 2 standard plugs on the other) using both ends of the insert cable, all providing the same result.

The Prodigy is receiving the appropriate pitch information, but the low C key must be depressed in order for the Prodigy to be heard. The Prodigy's envelope is not re-triggered as it should. If you play a different key on the Prodigy, the incoming pitch information is transposed to that key (see my I, IV, V progression in video). Excuse the crappy audio, since this was a quick video and didn't provide what I'd hoped, I didn't bother with trying to get the audio right.

I'll try to dig up a Cinch Jones cable (it's somewhere) and give it another try soon.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Moog gates are negative, the SEM is positive. You need something like this, $27 from synthesizers.com

The circuit if you wish to roll your own:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager (FS), Live 9

Postby pinky_blue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the input guys. So the general consensus is that it is possible?

Z, the pics and video are very useful, thanks for taking the time out to do them.

meatballfulton, I made my S-Trig cable using that very diagram. I'll have another try and let you both know how I get on.

Thanks!
pinky_blue

Postby pinky_blue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm

OK so I have the Cinch Jones going from the gate out of the SEM into the S-Trig in of the Prodigy and an insert cable going from the CV1 out of the SEM to the Osc in of the Prodigy.

It's behaving the same as in Z's video in that it triggers the sequence from the DAW when I press the key on the Moog.

Its pretty cool, but its not what I was aiming for, is there a way I can get the Moog to trigger without pressing its keys first?
pinky_blue

Return to HELP!