Yamaha DX7 velocity problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha DX7 velocity problem

Postby Rokk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:09 pm

My DX7 mk1 behaves strangely. The lowest octave of keys has a velocity problem. Sometimes velocity works, sometimes works for a second, then not, then again and again not, sometimes it doesn't work at all. When I give it a love slap it starts working again. I opened it up whe I decided to fix some key that had different response than others, but I couldn't really locate the problem. I thought the problem is in the long ribbon calbe going from keyboard to the main board, but I'm not sure.

The other problem is that when I set the pitch wheel range at more than 3 it never returns to zero (when I swing the wheel forward and releas it the pitch ends up one or two semitones higher). It's not a big problem, because I usually have it set for 2 semitones, but it's always good to have more options.

Any idea?

Thank you!
Rokk

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha DX7 velocity problem

Postby vcs3 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:07 pm

You a broken sorder somewhere in the keybed and the main board,
thats why after a "love slap" it starts working.
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby TheOuterAzure » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 pm

I had the same problem years ago when I owned a DX7. I opened it and did a re-flow of every solder joint I could find on the keyboard PCB. It worked like a charm and never misbehaved after that.
TheOuterAzure

Postby Rokk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Yeah, I have been thinking about doing this, but taking the keyboard of is quite a project :) But I have no choice.
Hopefully I'll do it this week.
Thank you.
Rokk

Return to HELP!