Kawai SX-240 Filter Envelope Amount weak?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Kawai SX-240 Filter Envelope Amount weak?

Postby wjmwpg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Wondering if anyone out there can refute or confirm some SX-240 behaviour for me.

I find that the amount the FilterENV modulates the FilterCutOff to be quite weak. With the
FilterENV amount set at 100% and the FilterCutOff set fully closed, I don't get the filter to anything near fully open through the FilterENV stages. And naturally if I open up the FilterCutOff somewhat to compensate I don't get a fully closed filter when the FilterENV reaches its Sustain stage (if set to zero).

When I compare similar settings between the SX-240 and my PolySix I get a similar amount of FilterENV CutOff modulation with the FilterENV amount on the SX-240 set to 100% as I do on the PolySix with its FilterEnv amount set to about 30% (1.5 out of 5 on the Filter Intensity knob).

I'm thinking I may have messed something up when I performed the calibration procedure. I would normally just put it back on the bench and recalibrate, but I've just moved and some family matters have kept me from reestablishing my bench just yet so I want to confirm that this isn't normal behaviour for an SX-240 before I commandeer the dining room table (which never goes over too well).

-- To be even more specific about the issue:
If I take the AMP envelope out of the equation (AmpENV=99 / A=0 / D=0 / S=99 / R=whatever), and I set the FILTER envelope at 100% (99) and set for a fast, plucky-type bass sound (FilterENV=99 / A=0 / D=40 / S=0 / R=40), when I play a note the filter doesn't start anywhere near completely open. It's extremely dull with no upper harmonics. If I bring the Filter CutOff up enough to hear it start in a more bright/open position it then won't close all the way to silence when the FilterENV's Decay stage is finished and it rests at its Sustain stage (set at S=0) . . . (which is of course the normal behaviour with any synth when you increase the filter cutoff beyond nil.)

Cheers,
James
wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Tokai LoveRock

Return to HELP!