ARP Omni 2 Synth Section

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

ARP Omni 2 Synth Section

Postby error_trials » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:22 am

Well, first post, hi all. I'm well into an ARP Omni 2 repair, funny I see the other 2 most recent posts in this help forum are ARP Omni questions - I'm seeing a trend and these Omni's are indeed living up to their reputation...

Anyway. I've fully re-capped the synth, all keys work, string section works, phaser/chorus works and up until I swapped the synth control IC's, the synth section worked... the 8' and 4' switches were rarely working so I thought it could be the 4013 flip-flop IC's, I swapped them with new 4013's, then realized it was just the switches themselves through some switch trading.

Now, the synth section has no output. I'm afraid something was shorted or a PCB trace was broken, etc during my "repair". I do have a scope and I've tried to trace the synth signal to see where it's stopped, and I'm a bit stumped:

The 4' and 8' waveforms come into the synth board as they should, on pin 16 and pin 2 respectively of J12 (referencing the schematic: http://bit.ly/1hgS1rt), and they go away when I switch the 8' and 4' synth buttons to OFF (LED goes out too). They do appear as I trace the signal to the input of the VCF (pin 1 of M1), although with a significant decrease in the signal there, and a very very low (no?) signal at the VCF output.

What should I be seeing at the input and output of the VCF? Or better yet, where along the whole circuit should I look for signal to narrow this down? Or does my description alone suggest a certain component failure to anyone?

The bass section is also a bit funky, but that's an issue for another day... I don't believe it's affecting my current problem since the synth section worked previously and the bass section has always had the same issue.

Thanks for any advice!!
error_trials

Advertisement:

Re: ARP Omni 2 Synth Section

Postby atkbg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:49 pm

I've had two Omni's that the filter IC died.
Replacing that fixed the issue for me.
Don't recall the part number right now.
atkbg

Return to HELP!