Ensoniq SD-1 Questions (Jump and 1984 Patch Building)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Ensoniq SD-1 Questions (Jump and 1984 Patch Building)

Postby Eren Semonik » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Hey All,
Forgive me for saying this, but the main reason why I'm posting this is because I'm working on a "Jump" and "1984" patch for my newly acquired Ensoniq SD-1 32 Voice.
So far, the factory brass presets that are on the synth are a bit cheesy, but I'm starting to get a decent "Jump" sound out of the "Fat-Brass" preset. Here are my questions, and hopefully there are some SD-1 users out there that can help me out with this:

-Is there a better patch than the "Fat-Brass" preset that I can use to build the "Jump" sound?
-I can't find any resonance control on the SD-1. Is there an alternative? (Solved)
-Does anyone have any settings for constructing the "Jump" sound?
-How do I use the envelope filters on the SD-1 to create the characteristic "swoosh" of Van Halen's 1984 track?
-How do I turn off velocity sensitivity on the SD-1 to get a full-volume attack every time?

Thanks so much for looking, and if I can get any good sounds out of this, maybe I will upload the MIDI files (for use with MidiQuest or similar software).

Update (03-05-2014)
I have found a viable alternative to resonance control.
By using the LFO at a high setting, you can create that "throaty" sound that's needed to reproduce the Jump lead tone. My only complaint with the current Jump tone I have is the overly "sharp" (not musically) sounding attacks. I'll look into this.

Cheers!
Eren Semonik
Last edited by Eren Semonik on Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers!
Eren Semonik

I am not a "synth doctor!" Any advice is offered "as-is", so take it as you must, but I am not liable for anything stupid that you do. Capiche?
Eren Semonik

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1 32 Voice

Advertisement:

Re: Ensoniq SD-1 Questions (Jump and 1984 Patch Building)

Postby Rezisehtnys » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:27 am

It's impossible, you need resonance for all of the patches. Especially the bass sweep for 1984. For these kind of sounds you'll really need an analogue or virtual analogue synth. If these are the kind of sounds you'll primarily be making you'll need to sell the SD-1 and buy something else, provided you don't have the money already to just go ahead and buy something else.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Eren Semonik » Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:It's impossible, you need resonance for all of the patches. Especially the bass sweep for 1984. For these kind of sounds you'll really need an analogue or virtual analogue synth. If these are the kind of sounds you'll primarily be making you'll need to sell the SD-1 and buy something else, provided you don't have the money already to just go ahead and buy something else.

I see where you're coming from, but the resonance/bass sweep is no longer an issue. I have successfully been able to use the LFO to get a resonant tone out of the SD-1
Cheers!
Eren Semonik

I am not a "synth doctor!" Any advice is offered "as-is", so take it as you must, but I am not liable for anything stupid that you do. Capiche?
Eren Semonik

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:39 am

why not use the resonance wavetable, you'll need to adjust its pitch to match your cutoff and have it modulated by whatever modulates your sweep as well...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby Rezisehtnys » Wed May 07, 2014 4:15 am

Ah yes, the resonant wavetables. Forgot about them, then again I only use my VFX as a controller these days. Still isn't quite the same though.

I suppose you already found in the amplifier section where you can turn off the velocity.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Eren Semonik » Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Ashe37 wrote:why not use the resonance wavetable, you'll need to adjust its pitch to match your cutoff and have it modulated by whatever modulates your sweep as well...

Any idea on how to accomplish this? Sorry if I sound like a noob, because this is my first actual synthesizer.
Cheers!
Eren Semonik

Eren Semonik

Postby Z » Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Eren Semonik wrote:
Any idea on how to accomplish this? Sorry if I sound like a noob, because this is my first actual synthesizer.

Not an ideal choice to learn synthesis with. You might want to look at one of the modern analog mono synths with lots of sliders (Arturia MiniBrute, Novation Bass Station II, etc.) to learn basic subtractive synthesis.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Ashe37 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am

yes, many of the early 90s digital synthesizers are less than ideal for learning synthesis due to that reason. I really learned synthesis on the V-station VST, between the Sound on Sound synthesis series and Fred Wells' books.

Anyway, set one of the waveforms you are using to the resonant wavetable, and adjust its pitch to match the cutoff point of your filter. Set the modulation source of the pitch of this oscillator to match whatever you are using to modulate the filter. You adjust the position of the wavetable to change the amount of resonance, and this can be modulated as well if you are changing the amount of resonance.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Return to HELP!