Creating real time sys ex messages for Roland XV3080

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Creating real time sys ex messages for Roland XV3080

Postby technical2654 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:47 am

I want to use my Novation X Station to control the Roland XV3080 synth module. The Novation allows me to enter a string of up to 20 hexadecimal bytes to be defined for each controller on the Station. I don't quite understand how to set up the correct Data Set 1 string, mainly because the guide (http://www.chromakinetics.com/handsonic/rolSysEx.htm) and Roland's user manual (http://www.media.rolandus.com/manuals/XV-3080_OM.pdf page 187) don't clarify how this is done dynamically, i.e. for a real time controller rather than for a one-off message calculated by the user.

Let me use as an example the Patch Tone TVF Env Time 1 parameter. My questions:

How do I find the full address of the parameter in the Parameter Address Map? The guide instructs me to add a Start Address to the Offset Address, but I'm confused. The Offset Address of this parameter is 00 55. Which Start Address do I add to this, and why?

What do I put in the data string for the data value, as that depends on the control setting?

What do I put in the data string for the checksum value, as that depends on the data value of the control setting?
Last edited by technical2654 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
technical2654

Advertisement:

Re: Creating real time sys ex messages for Roland XV3080

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 pm

SysEx isn't dynamic. If you assign a pot to control some parameter by SysEx, as you turn the pot it has to continually send msgs, each one with new data and checksum.

Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby Tidda » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:SysEx isn't dynamic. If you assign a pot to control some parameter by SysEx, as you turn the pot it has to continually send msgs, each one with new data and checksum.

Good luck.

I don't agree. SysEx is dynamic. On a MIDI controller like the Peavey PC1600x, if you assign a fader to control some parameter by SysEx, as you move the fader it WILL continually send messages, each one with new data and checksum. No problem.

However, having glanced through the Novation X Station manual, it seems that the Novation has the ability to send new data if you move the pot (using 'DV' in the SysEx string, meaning Data Value), but there doesn't seem to be way to dynamically calculate a new checksum in that message. :(

Tidda
Tidda

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:55 pm

When I wrote sysex is not dynamic, I meant that sysex msgs were never meant for continuous control applications, that's what CCs are for (as the name implies).

I understand some people want to use sysex to make up for a lack of CCs. Best of luck to them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby technical2654 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks for those replies. Back to the drawing board for me.
technical2654

Return to HELP!