PLEASE HELP! - ARP - Quartet

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

PLEASE HELP! - ARP - Quartet

Postby Marsy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 am

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm a bass player who's been advised by my friends over on the BassChat forums that this is the place for the help I need.

So I bought an Arp - Quartet recently and it sounded great for 10 minutes.

Then when switching patches it seemed to be stuck on 'organ' sound. When I press a different patch it switches into that patch (the led for that patch lights up) but the organ led remains lit too!

The only sound I can get from the synth is when I press the organ patch and only have the 'celeste' slider up (on) if I slide up the organ slider (1 octave lower) it cuts out all sound.

I have very limited technical knowledge of analog gear, but I've had a look inside and sprayed contact cleaner on a few bits I thought could be relevant but sadly nothing has changed.

On a separate note I have also noticed that the tuning was flat, and when I turned the tuning pot the sound cuts in and out and you have to kind of gently let go of it in the right position to leave it producing sound. I believe this to be totally unrelated to the main problem.

If anyone can input any advice or suggest someone who could perform a service/repair for me that would be fantastic. Preferably somewhere reasonably local-ish to Teesside would be great. I would consider using a courier (anything to get it back up and running!) although I believe the problem I currently have could well have been done in transit with a courier!

Many thanks in advance guys,

Stephen
Marsy

Advertisement:

Re: PLEASE HELP! - ARP - Quartet

Postby rhino » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:18 am

welcome to the board!

The Siel Orchastra was bought by ARP and re=named. This is a quaint old board, but prone to problems.

1) ANY IC chip numbered "40xx" (x's are numbers) are suspect . Not near the shop right now, but try replacing the ICs that work as 'latches' for the buttons. I'll search the service manual for the correct number. If you or a tech need a copy of the schematic, let me know.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby sam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:43 am

Series 4000 chips are a problem these days ....the schems will narrow it down.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Marsy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Maybe it's a little wishful thinking going on here..
But I think/hope that no components need replacing. :?

Just because it was running sweet in our band rehearsal space and all I did was pressed the 'organ' patch (maybe slightly over excitedly, I can't recall now) and now it's like I'm 'stuck' in that patch in a way..
As the organ led won't go off and organ is essentially the only patch producing a tone.
If I try to switch to say for example 'brass' then the brass led will light up aswel as the organ one only while your finger holds the brass button. Then when you let go it just goes out and your back in 'organ'!

Super annoying..

:cry:
Marsy

Return to HELP!