Korg Micro Preset - Repair Advice Needed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg Micro Preset - Repair Advice Needed

Postby Synner » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi all,

I know nothing about synths, other than that I love to turn the knobs and see what happens...

I have a Korg Micro Preset that broke recently, this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSi8XaTvrA

Symptoms - It makes a clicking sound when you press a key and also when you take your finger off the key, and the sound varies slightly between the different voices. But all the other parts of the sound that you would expect to hear are absent and it would basically sound silent unless you were listening carefully.

I'm a professional musician but not a rich one, and this instrument is far from the top of my list of priorities. Basically, if it costs £50 or less to repair, I'd probably do it, any more and I don't think I could justify it. It's not my synth, it's one of those long term loans musicians often end up with! So resale value does not really come into the equation, it's more like paying rent on a year or two's usage.

What I want to know is if £50 is a decent budget to repair one of these things or if there are lots of common problems with analogue synths that can get very expensive to fix? And is it standard practice to be able to pay for a repair man to open it up and diagnose the problem and give me a quote rather than just fixing it and sending me a bill?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

-Synner
Synner

Return to HELP!