Advice on Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Advice on Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000

Postby HappyFunTimes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm

I have a P2000, but I don't have any good disks for it, and the internal sounds are pretty limited. I was wondering if anyone had much experience with this sampler/synth. I'm considering buying some of the disks winecountry sequential sells. They have a Prophet 5, Minimoog, and Ob-8, but I don't know if it's worth the money to have to buy a new disk every time I want to get a different sound out of this thing. I'm considering trading it for a DW8000 just because it seems like a hassle to mess with the floppy disks. Opinions or suggestions welcome.
HappyFunTimes

Re: Advice on Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000

Postby synthroom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:51 am

I briefly had a P2000 a couple of years ago, and someone came out with some PC software that would allow one to take wav files and convert them to P2000 sample disks. I never tried it but it looked cool.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: Advice on Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000

Postby madtheory » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Old samplers like this are interesting, IMO, for sampling with and doing odd things like low sample rates for aliasing, extreme filtering, overdriving the input, corrupting the RAM, extreme transposing etc. etc.

Using them to imitate classic synths or do your bread'n'butter sounds for composing is, as you say a hassle. Like, you could spend hours rolling your own multisamples but why bother when there are tons of great libraries out there, and powerful tools such as Autosampler (which is now bundled in Apple Mainstage)? My Casio VZ and CZ libraries were done with that. Granted, I did a lot of tweaking afterwards, and initially setting up the parameters for the right ranges took time, but it saves a huge amount of tedious work.

I've just picked up a Casio FZ-1 and I'm very excited about the possibilities with it. The internal synthesis sounds great pretty much straight away because it's so easy to overdrive the filter, and it is a very cool sounding filter. Totally unique design, it sounds like a warmer version of the MS20 filter. I'm installing the Lotharek HxC floppy emulator (no more floppies yay!) and the display is getting a new backlight.

But for "regular" sampling duties, Kontakt, Autosampler, Recycle, Structure Free and Pro Tools rule my world. :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Return to HELP!