Good new TV shows

Synthheads discuss the not directly synth-related stuff.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines
Note: This forum is routinely purged. Topics will be deleted after 30 days with no replies. Think of "Off Topic" as a place to discuss what's on your mind, and have fun. If you feel a topic deserves to live on permanently, you should ask a Moderator if they would consider making it a "Sticky".

Good new TV shows

Postby tom Cadillac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:58 am

Well great preferably. What are you guys watching? The OA is the best I've watched recently...and The third season of Better Call Saul is like watching a moving painting - the composition and lighting is so beautiful on episode 1....I think its so good it may be distracting from the evolving storyline. Anyway suggestions please....Oh also shows that are good sources for sampling.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Re: Good new TV shows

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Loved The OA and of course Better Call Saul.

Also in that league are Mr Robot and Fargo, both coming back for their third seasons imminently.

Another little Netflix gem I wasn't expecting much from was Travelers - but it's superb, and I watched the season twice...

The Expanse is superb, (S2 is better than S1 as well), an The Americans and Homeland still continue to deliver for me, Lftovers may or may not be your thing, S1 was difficult to watch, S2 and the new S3 are/were different and much more accessible.

Other stuff you may or may not like include (most on Netflix) 12 Monkeys, Sense8, Colony, Jessica Jones, Westworld, 11.22.63, Haven, Incorporated, Manhattan... that lot should give you something nice to watch, at least, and that's all I got on the top of my head... :)
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Music Technology, E&MM and more...
desmond

Postby jxalex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Vintagesynth Explorer.
Every time I open this "screen" and spend one hour I am interested and hooked to know "what they say for next?" and where it usually leads.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby gcoudert » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I am addicted to Danish and Swedish crime series: The Bridge (Bron/Broen), The Killing (Forbrydelsen), Dicte (not as good), Jordskott, Ängleby, Blå Ögon, etc. Some have been re-made (as The Tunnel, Humans, etc.) but they're no match for the originals.
The 20-episode first series of Forbrydelsen, starring Sofie Gråbøl (of 'Fortitude' fame), was a particular highlight.
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Fantom X8 + Ultimate Keys, Complete Orchestra & Dynamic Drum Kits expansions, Fantom X7, Tascam DP-24SD.
Band: No name yet

Postby jxalex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Lets see what we can watch OFFLINE instead from our archives what we all nerds have:

Startrek (original series)
Startrek The Next Generation
Startrek Deep Space 9
Startrek Voyager
Startrek Enterprise

Already with that it can take more than one year to see all of the episodes if seeing 2..3 in a day. I prefer it as XviD format. No streaming.

Dr. Who (also many many many seasons)
Red Dwarf (many seasons)
Lexx
Addams Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (70s version).

And result -- no TV channels needed. :)
To me the only thing what would be interesting from a TV would be documentaries about music, artists, synthesizers. Otherwise it is boring all whats there,

One my buddy who has Netflix end up asking advice from me and reached to the similar conclusion -- nothing new and interesting there, becouse really nothing interesting there lately.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby tom Cadillac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 am

I started watching 'the leftovers' last night - love how basically its about people being f**k up...Found it utterly amazing in its slight twisting away from what is socially acceptable. I guess I'm an anarchist at heart and can't get on with regular TV - police procedurals, heroic characters etc..just doesn't seem real ...whereas TV seems recently to be using the extended form to dig deep into character's psyche as they twist shape - classic example of course is Breaking Bad's school teacher to gangster.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Postby ninja6485 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Has anyone seen the new MST3K yet? IMO the movies are good, but the rest is a little difficult to watch, and the comments need to be refined... Maybe I'm just too much a fan of the old series!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Z » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

I just finished "Legion" only because people in the synth FB groups were talking about the soundtrack - which was really good. I'm not really into superhero/meta-human/super powers type of stuff and thought it was just kinda meh. Though, Aubrey Plaza is in it and she's cute AF. And always love Jemaine Clements.

Currently watching BCS and The Americans. I always love the 80s references and music selection on that show. Waiting for the next season of Silicon Valley to start and of course, GoT and Stranger Things later this year.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby tom Cadillac » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 am

mmmm...I agree on legion a bit. Too many superheroes about but I see Legion more as a "what's inside one's head/ what is real?" drama and ...its enjoyably quirky...the guy in the time lock ice cube and lounge suit etc...also the visual effects and direction are phenomenal...as is the Lennie character...the episode that returns to the psych ward and casts her as the evil psychiatrist is so witty and fun...
tom Cadillac

Postby b3llaflick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 am

I am in the last season of Breaking Bad!
b3llaflick

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:36 pm

b3llaflick wrote:I am in the last season of Breaking Bad!

Enjoy! :)
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Music Technology, E&MM and more...
desmond

Return to Off Topic