Synth examples, post them here.

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Re: Synth examples, post them here.

Postby Carey M » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Damn, JMP! :shock: What a great set of demos =P~ And to think that I had a chance to get an Emulator II for a quite reasonable price, and turned it down....... #-o

Anyways, in case anybody wants to hear what Moog Opus 3 or Logan String Melody sound like...

Opus - Dynacord VRS-23 for reverb, no other fx or EQ, bad chops for playing.

Logan - some previous owner had modded this Logan with a built-in phaser circuit. Reverb from UAD Plate 140, some EQ. I couldn't think of anything to play, hence the Carpenter-ish lick.

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Advertisement:

Postby retrosounds » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Not really a synthesizer (It's more of a large string machine/organ, So I'm not sure if I can post this :? )
Please excuse the mistakes.

With Effects (From ART MultiVerb And KORG DRV-2000):

With No Effects/Dry:

At the end I played the bass pedels.
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"
retrosounds

Band: RetroSounds

Postby bendragon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Who would I contact if I wanted to add an audio demo to a synth page?
The demo's for the Casio CZ range are deplorable at best and don't show off what the CZs can really do. I've got loads of youtube videos and I've just finished an audio demo of my CZ3000 that could be used.
Casio CZ-3000 audio demo at zShare
In this demo no external effects are used, this is all the CZ-3000. The only exception is the last patch which has stereo delay applied (bonus points if you can guess the song used for this patch). All the patches have the CZ's internal chorus unit applied. I've gotten some very analogue like sounds of my CZ :)
The sweeping strings and the faux DX7 e-Piano are my favorites of the bunch.
Sorry that some of the recordings glitch, I'm using a PB G4 right now and it tends to flake out with osx leopard while recording.
bendragon

Gear: Korg M50, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Korg MS2000, Casio VZ-1, Korg Electribe SX SD and DSI Mopho X4.

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:02 am

HideawayStudio wrote:Tinkering in the studio today I finally got round to revisiting my old TX802 and once again the magic of FM has impressed me! Maybe it's just me because I'm still in amazed how something like this can be synthesized from thin air. I really like some of the factory patches in this old beast. It is a real shame FM got itself a bad name - PCs fitted with junky 4OP generators didn't help. It's clearly a very powerful form of synthesis which demands more respect. At times where FM might lack realism it's made up for in buckets with controlability and modulation. This is a very rough improvisation using factory patch INT16 <strings>:

http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/Y ... ?autostart

Finally here is a typical thick layered choir sample from my recently restored Emulator II. There is something really quite special about the sound of this beast - almost like sonic chocolate! In this case I've just played chords in case some want to sample the results:

http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/E ... ?autostart

Here is a quick warts and all demo of the Microwave I - please note all the aliasing, distortion and popping is for free :)

http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/W ... ?autostart

haha... digging the intro from Cubic :wink: the FM strings are also very impressive!
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby tekkentool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 pm

CZ's always seem to have an extra thick layer of 80's cheese surrounding them 8)
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby bendragon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

i dont think they do. With a little work some people dont beleive that its a CZ. I think DX tend to have a more 80s tone about them, but i guess that comes from them being hidiousely over used in the 80s.
bendragon

Gear: Korg M50, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Korg MS2000, Casio VZ-1, Korg Electribe SX SD and DSI Mopho X4.

Postby bendragon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:10 pm

i dont think they do. With a little work some people dont beleive that its a CZ. I think DX tend to have a more 80s tone about them, but i guess that comes from them being hidiousely over used in the 80s.
bendragon

Postby tekkentool » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:41 am

bendragon wrote:i dont think they do. With a little work some people dont beleive that its a CZ. I think DX tend to have a more 80s tone about them, but i guess that comes from them being hidiousely over used in the 80s.

i dunno, i have heard a lot of sounds on the CZ series that don't sound that 80's or vintage, but the DX7 (or even better the DX7 II) can still sound completely modern, and i don't think the CZ can, i think it's down to the fuzziness of the CZ series in their sound, 80's recordings always seem to have a fuzz surrounding them, and the CZ just sounds like that.

good characteristic if ya ask me 8)
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:46 pm

tekkentool wrote:
bendragon wrote:i dont think they do. With a little work some people dont beleive that its a CZ. I think DX tend to have a more 80s tone about them, but i guess that comes from them being hidiousely over used in the 80s.

i dunno, i have heard a lot of sounds on the CZ series that don't sound that 80's or vintage, but the DX7 (or even better the DX7 II) can still sound completely modern, and i don't think the CZ can, i think it's down to the fuzziness of the CZ series in their sound, 80's recordings always seem to have a fuzz surrounding them, and the CZ just sounds like that.

good characteristic if ya ask me 8)

I adore the better FM synths - esp. DX-7 II, TG77 and TX802. The CZ3000 is great too but IMO for a narrower number of applications. They do compliment each other quite well though BUT I wouldn't say they actually sound that similar. The CZs are capable of some very raw, buzzy and very digital sounds and some mad FX as well as some typically cheezy organs - which in the right application is great :)

Like everything - each one has it's place - neither are junk by any stretch of the imagination. And they are SYNTHS ie not yet another tiresome S+S box - so you can use your imagination and come up something new :D

I sometimes wish I had a CZ of my own - I used to borrow a friend's unit when I wanted to tinker. They are one of those types of synth you buy in passing just to play with and see what happens.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby bendragon » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:29 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
They are one of those types of synth you buy in passing just to play with and see what happens.

Yeah it was a passing synth for me because it was so cheap (£130) and it's ended up the most over used synth in my setup. It's buzzing tones and smooth effects fit very well in Techno and chill-out music.
bendragon

Postby tekkentool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:06 am

don't get me wrong i love em both, i just think the dx series sounds clearer.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby bendragon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 am

tekkentool wrote:don't get me wrong i love em both, i just think the dx series sounds clearer.

*scratches head*
err... What?
Are you talking about it's Digital to Analogue converter or something?
bendragon

Postby tekkentool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 am

forget i said anything 8) just saying i think the DX series sounds a little more modern.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby D-Collector » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Don't know if this has been posted before but this guy really does some excellent work with the JV-1080, without expansions. You should check out all his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3DUmMRez8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuKKOG35LQ&feature=related
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tekkentool » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:44 am

D-Collector wrote:Don't know if this has been posted before but this guy really does some excellent work with the JV-1080, without expansions. You should check out all his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3DUmMRez8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuKKOG35LQ&feature=related

YEEES, i love the power of the JV-1080 demo's. cross a lot of genre's!
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to The Listening Lounge