Assault On Precinct 13 x 2

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Assault On Precinct 13 x 2

Postby elsquirrel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Two cover versions of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 theme. Be interested to see which you might prefer. Or both lacking? Any ideas welcome. ;)

Version 1:

Version 2:

elsquirrel

Advertisement:

Re: Assault On Precinct 13 x 2

Postby plus321 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:12 am

I like 2 better. Just didn't really like the bass patch you used in the other one. Good job. This is one of my favorite Carpenter movies/themes.
plus321

Postby elsquirrel » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. :hippie:
elsquirrel

Postby SeventhStar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 am

Good execution! Both are a little weak on the bass track, but I guess it depends what you're using to generate the bass. Doesn't sound like any real fat synth was used in either version. I probably lean toward your number 1 version, if you fattened up the bass some.

I started to do a cover of the same theme, myself. Haven't quite gotten a bass tone yet that I'm happy with, but eventually I'll probably post my effort. The way it is right now mine would be too embarrassing to post..

I'm thinking about maybe posting a version of the Halloween III opening credit track, that I did with the Messiah soft-synth a couple years ago. That one came out better.
SeventhStar

Gear: Sequential MULTI-TRAK, DARK STAR, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Postby Infinity Curve » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Take the percussion from the first one, pad from the second and a new bigger bass with a tiny bit more release on it
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby elsquirrel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 am

Infinity Curve wrote:Take the percussion from the first one, pad from the second and a new bigger bass with a tiny bit more release on it

I was thinking the same thing before I posted them. I was pretty happy with the bass on the second version at the time. Probably does need a bit more power as it's basically the centre of a fairly minimal track.

SeventhStar wrote: Doesn't sound like any real fat synth was used in either version

The first version is: drums - 808, and the rest is juno 6 hand played and multitracked. The chords in this version are also improvised as I hadn't figured them out yet. The second version is correct I think.

second: bass - monopoly / pad - juno 6 / string - esq-1/ and sequenced. The drums are linndrum samples I think.

I think you can get nice bass from my synths, so definitely the fault of the programmer here! :empathy:
elsquirrel

Postby georgemarauder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Both versions are good. The kick and snare sound a bit too muffled in version 1 for me, so I like the drums in version 2 better.

Good work!
georgemarauder

Return to The Listening Lounge