Wendy Carlos/"Switched-On Bach" Available for Download??

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Wendy Carlos/"Switched-On Bach" Available for Download??

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:05 pm

I woke up this morning thinking I would buy an MP3 (or better) digital version of the 1968 Switched-On Bach. I've been stymied — there do not appear to be digital downloads available in any of the usual places.

Can anyone point me to a source? I would love to find "better than MP3" files, but my 63 year-old ears have lost a lot of the ability to distinguish quality and I will happy to buy pretty much whatever I can find at this point.

Thank you for all suggestions!

Jim
-- I am an old dog learning new tricks ...and I am having SO MUCH FUN!
Shepherd Jim

Advertisement:

Re: Wendy Carlos/"Switched-On Bach" Available for Download??

Postby pflosi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Wendy Carlos is known for sueing everything on the web with her name attached... :dontknow:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby silikon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:31 pm

pflosi wrote:Wendy Carlos is known for sueing everything on the web with her name attached... :dontknow:

..this inevitably means you'll find nil in the forms of digital downloads you're interested in. You're best off hitting up Amazon and grabbing a copy from there (or eBay, I suppose)...

See link below:

The goods
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

I've jumped over to Amazon and scooped up a Switched on Bach 2000 CD which I'll rip upon receipt. I had declared an END to the collecting of plastic discs, but I'll make this exception. I'm hopeful that Ms. Carlos' new and improved recording of her original work will not be so perfected that it fails to carry me back to 1968.

It's a shame. Wendy Carlos grew up and performed in an era when musicians were treated miserably by the recording companies. Browsing her website I can see that she and "her people" had been trying to keep up with the changes in the industry, self-distribution, etc.

I can still remember the first time I heard Switched-On Bach — without a doubt the album is the reason I am here today. ...it's most likely the reason this here IS here. ;)
Shepherd Jim

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 pm

There's always P2P services...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby silikon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 pm

commodorejohn wrote:There's always P2P services...

It's always a great idea to point someone down the path that might result in cease-and-desist letters, or worse.

Also, suggesting something like this on a forum populated with artists who actually could be impacted from something like that is begging for a proper sacking. (see also: unwise)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Dr. Phibes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Even accounting for Carlos's notorious erm, reluctance on such matters I'm really surprised it isn't yet available on itunes or a similar online retailer. A missed opportunity methinks.
Dr. Phibes

Postby synthroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Another big SOB fan.

I bought the SOB 2000 when it came out and I was underwhelmed. It sounded to perfect, I suppose. And I find the more authentic tunings don't seem to mesh with my ears...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby fh991586 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm

I was lucky to find a coverless cd of SOB recently, but I didn't find this as good as I thought. Even though I like both electronic and classical music, her work on Clockwork Orange left me with a better feeling 20 years ago when I discovered it!
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
-Korg Poly61M, M3R, MicroKorg, Micro, Kaossilator/Pro, Monotron X3
-Yamaha DX7, TX816, TX81Z
-Crumar Performer, DSI Mopho, SCI Prophet 2002
fh991586

Gear: Too much to handle...

Postby silikon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

synthroom wrote:Another big SOB

...that's all I heard.

absolutely kidding of course. =)

Myself personally, was really into the Switched-On stuff early, having found the albums (along with the Beatles, The Monkees, and a copy of Brian Eno's Discreet Music) in my mum's album stash as a wee tyke, but had lost interest as I grew.

That said, I particularly enjoyed the Tron soundtrack (the original Tron, don't be daft...), as well as A Clockwork Orange.

Dr. Phibes wrote:Even accounting for Carlos's notorious erm, reluctance on such matters I'm really surprised it isn't yet available on itunes or a similar online retailer. A missed opportunity methinks.

It is a bit unfortunate; I'd expect it be met with at least a reasonable amount of appreciation.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Dr. Phibes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 pm

fh991586 wrote:I was lucky to find a coverless cd of SOB recently, but I didn't find this as good as I thought. Even though I like both electronic and classical music, her work on Clockwork Orange left me with a better feeling 20 years ago when I discovered it!

It's really about the Brandenburg Concerto No.3 renditions first and foremost, the rest is charming in its own way but you can definitely appreciate how much her method had improved by the time of The Well Tempered Synthesizer. That said I still find her version of the first movement mesmerizing.

Although I think it's good to remember that her prowess extends far beyond mere talented interpretation. Beauty in the Beast remains one of my favourite albums.
Dr. Phibes

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

You youngsters who "discovered" Carlos' Switched-On Bach looking back from "today" probably cannot appreciate what it was like to be there in 1968 hearing a synthesizer make music for the first time.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that there's someone on eBay who's listed a number of reel-to-reel 1/4" tapes of Walter Carlos recordings Walter Carlos ~ The Well-Tempered Synthesizer ~ 4 Track 7.5 IPS Reel to Reel and The Well Tempered Synthesizer. WoW!
Shepherd Jim

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Actually, Switched-On Bach was the first synthesizer music I ever heard (my dad's a classical music buff.) Quite an eye-opener, although I didn't actually get into synths myself until many years later.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby rschnier » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am

I bought the Switched-On Bach box set when it came out a number of years ago, which includes SOB, SOB 2, Well-Tempered Synthesizer and Switched-on Brandenbergs vol 1 and 2. Listening to an mp3 "album playlist" of the six Brandenbergs beginning to end is a wonderful experience.

I see that for the price of just the SOB album, you can almost get the SOB box set used on Amazon. Worth considering, like I said just to get all six Brandenbergs but the other material is great too.
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby _dan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:11 am

Rhapsody has some Wendy Carlos (Tron), not switched on though.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Next

Return to The Listening Lounge