Yamaha CS60 Presets Demo

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Yamaha CS60 Presets Demo

Postby molson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 pm

I found a Yamaha CS60 locally today and it seems to be fully functional and in surprisingly good condition, case has some scuffs and the legs are missing. The only issue is that the oscillators need a tuneup, which is something that needs to be done periodically anyway.

Based on the current value of these I likely won't be able to justify keeping it, but plan making a number of demo videos while I still have it.

This first one is simply a demo of the preset tones recorded at 24bit/44.1k through a Steinberg MR816X into Logic Pro X and dithered to 16 bit before being combined with the video in iMovie. The resonance and brilliance controls are set to the nominal position which is off for the resonance and in the middle for the brilliance.

molson

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS60 Presets Demo

Postby Kenneth » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Cool! May I ask you what you paid for it?
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Adding a little reverb and delay wil lwork miracles on the presets (and on the programmable sound as well).

Tuning should be a lot more stable than with the CS80. If you have someone overhaul it, make sure the caps in the power supply rails get replaced as well as they can produce problems in the long run (especially the tantalums).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby molson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Getting the oscillators tuned in a couple of days, but in the meantime I made a sort of silly flyby style tour of the internal guts...
molson

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 am

They don´t make them like this anymore.

Gotta love those little plastic bags with a set of fuses, stitched to the back. They really cared :).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 am

^ Agreed. I couldn't believe it when I opened up my CS50 for the first time. What a piece of work!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby molson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

It really is amazing. All those circuit boards and the never ending rainbow of wire. I'm not sure if these were constructed in a modular fashion or not, but either way a significant amount of human labor went into putting one of these together.
molson

Postby molson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:16 am

So it took longer than I expected but I finally got the oscillators of the CS60 tuned. I have posted a new presets demo video that should be more listenable. Though I still can't play the keyboard... I plan to make demo videos of the Ring Modulator, Aftertouch, LFO, Panel controls etc.. but this synth is For Sale.

molson

Postby Bitexion » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 pm

This is nothing compared to the CS-60 I played in a store once. The VCO's were so out of tune it sounded like a cat dying every time i hit chords. They still sold it for $3000 within a couple of days.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm

molson wrote:So it took longer than I expected but I finally got the oscillators of the CS60 tuned. I have posted a new presets demo video that should be more listenable. Though I still can't play the keyboard... I plan to make demo videos of the Ring Modulator, Aftertouch, LFO, Panel controls etc.. but this synth is For Sale.

If you weren't located on the other side of the Big Pond, I might even be tempted.

Stephen
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby molson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:25 pm

I would love to hear how good it sounds when played by someone who can actually play keys. I did post a collection of 10 demo videos: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=76792

My apologies for the poor playing.
molson

Return to The Listening Lounge