Talk Talk: what is that stuff??

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Talk Talk: what is that stuff??

Postby briandc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I grew up listening to lots of Talk Talk. And I realize that there's a lot of unusual synth stuff going on in their songs. Anyone familiar with the synths they used, patches, etc?
Here's an example:

Watch on youtube.com

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Advertisement:

Re: Talk Talk: what is that stuff??

Postby madtheory » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Simmons drums, two layered Roland JP8, and heavily processed Mellotron (the flute through a VCF/ envelope follower of some kind.

A good way to figure out the instrumentation is to get the extended mixes where parts get exposed. The "Asides and Besides" compilation has every mix a sane person would ever want.

Top class production, amazing band, evolving from pop to inventing the post rock genre and on to jazz/ classical innovation. The Mark Hollis and O'Rang records are great. Also check out their engineers auto-biography "Are we still rolling?" - Phil Browne.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Re: Talk Talk: what is that stuff??

Postby briandc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 pm

madtheory wrote:Simmons drums, two layered Roland JP8, and heavily processed Mellotron (the flute through a VCF/ envelope follower of some kind.

A good way to figure out the instrumentation is to get the extended mixes where parts get exposed. The "Asides and Besides" compilation has every mix a sane person would ever want.

Top class production, amazing band, evolving from pop to inventing the post rock genre and on to jazz/ classical innovation. The Mark Hollis and O'Rang records are great. Also check out their engineers auto-biography "Are we still rolling?" - Phil Browne.

Hi madtheory,

yes, knowing the instruments is one thing. But I'm really curious about the actual sounds. (lots of "jungle"-type stuff in that track in particular) Beyond the synths themselves, it's the things that they do with them that I'm curious about..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Return to The Listening Lounge