eBay advice - Have a look here

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Postby smallsynth » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:37 pm

jim777 wrote:Is there a "Here's a great deal for someone!" thread somewhere? I know of a few other forums where there's a sticked thread that people post great buys to if they stumble across them, expecially ones with low BIN prices. Sort of just keeping an eye out for one another. Most of the guys and gals here seem to know what each other would really like to acquire, it might be a good idea.

eh... i have mixed feelings about this. i like it when i find one of these. when it get's reposted, then my chance for a good deal is lessened. once i found an ad misspeled on ebay. did i want that posted anywhere else? i think not... it's a tough one though. my rule: i wait. if no one bids on the auction, i let someone know if they've posted in the WTB section. this way i robbed no one in the first auction, and only let someone know who's expressed interest. if i were to do it again, i'd use a personal message next time, though.

MitchK1989 wrote:One thing I don't understand is why some American sellers are reluctant to ship to Canada... I don't think anyone has ever had problems US -> Canada or Canada <- US... A very small border charge equivalent to sales tax if you use USPS or Canada Post. However American sellers consistantly refuse to use USPS, and insist on using UPS instead - Which means a hefty brokerage fee. I refuse to buy anything from an American unless they'll use USPS.

people are just wary of anything they even think could be additional trouble. sometimes this is as silly as not wanting to change from the shipper they normally use, or to filling out the customs tag. i've never really had problems shipping or receiving internationally. once i had to resend something to canda -- my fault, but inconvenient nonetheless.

tblack wrote:I think this is pretty sleazy and I'm just waiting on ebay to crack down on these types of sellers. You'll also notice this guy's feedback is private, which is never a good sign.

it's creative and probably against the rules... but saves some money. i don't know... you're taking a risk in that if you use paypal or ebay you might not get your money back. but i'd be more wary of the private feedback.

stix wrote:Well if you haven't made the finnal deal with him than you fine, but if i was you i would go look up what eBay has to say about fraud and what actions you can take. I've had to almost report a few people but the product usually shows up a week late. Living in the US i probably would never buy out side of this country.

send you half the money? yeah -- don't do that. so they get half and run off. i guess if you've decided you can trust the seller then it's better than nothing. but i wouldn't send a synth with only half payment. would you? so why is this seller so eagar. and here's a saying i've made up but seems to hold true:

it seems the people who are most willing to use your trust against you are the also the most willing to complain or become angered when you won't give it to them. funny that.

so, i have taken a risk before. but not with someone who seems to get mad, or with someone who tells me about fraud or talks to me like a no-good used car salesman (not all are no-good). i just like to feel comfortable about it. that said, i did buy something from russia before, and it worked out wonderfully. but there was no point along the was that seemed sketch. paypal has made me feel better in this regard. money order? not so much so.

-geoffrey smallsynth
smallsynth

Gear: the source, monomachine, k-station, gnat, buzz
Band: resterisk

Advertisement:

Postby i_watch_stars » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 am

Hey how much could I cop a Novation SNII Rack (the lowest polyphony version) for on the bay? I looked at the auction history and none had been sold in the past couple weeks for me to tell...
i_watch_stars

Postby the_analog_robot » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:18 am

MitchK1989 wrote:One thing I don't understand is why some American sellers are reluctant to ship to Canada... I don't think anyone has ever had problems US -> Canada or Canada <- US... A very small border charge equivalent to sales tax if you use USPS or Canada Post. However American sellers consistantly refuse to use USPS, and insist on using UPS instead - Which means a hefty brokerage fee. I refuse to buy anything from an American unless they'll use USPS.

i bought my Juno 60 from a Canadian dude via these forums...and it was the best transaction for an item i've ever been a part of. i'd have no problem shipping to or buying from Canada ever again. although, i don't have my own eBay seller's account yet, and my g/f only deals with the US...not sure why...shipping costs? laziness probably...oh, and we've only sold like three things...including my damn Juno!
the_analog_robot

NOS JP-8000 $1,700 ?

Postby raoul duke » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Weren't these only 15-1600 when new and current?

PLUS shipping and insurance!
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M
raoul duke

Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M, Korg PolySix

Postby djencode » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:01 pm

i used to see supernova2 racks go for about 700, and keyboard go for about 900 USD on ebay...

wouldn't be surprised if that was the norm.
gott ist im khaos gestorben.
djencode

Postby Chevalierdejake » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:51 am

I could buy this bad boy now for $350 (shipping incl.). I feel like I might have to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1

It'd be my first analog, and it seems like a great deal except for the missing two pieces.
Chevalierdejake

Postby DGX305 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305

Postby Bitexion » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 pm

That's mostly what JP-8's go for used in Norway. If ever. I've seen two in 5 years.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Future Pro » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:02 am

I know that if everyone did this it would be very annoying but i'm new to eBay and I'm wondering if this may be a scam?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Motif-Rack-E ... dZViewItem
~Novice~
Roland: ep.7!, JD-990
Future Pro

Postby Future Pro » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:16 am

It says "invalid item" now, I guess it was a scam
~Novice~
Roland: ep.7!, JD-990
Future Pro

Postby wiss » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Best adivce I can give for ebay buying is only bid on stuff you can go pick up....becuase if they wont let you pick it up, its scam. I have bought several thing that I drove 100 miles or more to pick up. Not one time was the item not perferctly desicrbed. A few months ago, I was bidding on a ROland RS 202 that was 2 miles from me and they refused to let me pick it up. I watched the auction end and they recieved negative feedback from a broken synth that they claimed was MINT.

My second advice if they wont let you return it, I assume someting is wrong...when ever I have used this...I said I am not going to ask to return becuase its cosmeticly its not what I desire. I would only like to return it if it doesnt work like you say....I ensure them I am not going to ask to return becuase I dont like it. I know what I am buying 99.99% of the time
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby KnowGood » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:44 am

stix wrote:Well if you haven't made the finnal deal with him than you fine, but if i was you i would go look up what eBay has to say about fraud and what actions you can take. I've had to almost report a few people but the product usually shows up a week late. Living in the US i probably would never buy out side of this country.

Anyone have any bad problems with Canada? The only things I've bought from there was movies and cloths. . . I'm considering buying a Waldorf xt and a few people have them in Canada. My major concern is customs and the product passing over the border.

I'm from Canada. Ebay handle tee-luv

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... id=tee-luv

I've shipped everything from skateboards to steering wheels and grills for cars to the US. As long as you ask the seller how much to ship to your address using Canada Post/Xpresspost you won't get hit with crazy duty charges. Once stuff starts shipping UPS, thats when money starts flying out of your pocket. This works both ways. For all those selling to Canada from the US, most Canadians won't bid on your auction if you will only ship UPS. The reason is that they automatically charge $30 for just being UPS, to anything over $20. They are also forced to collect all duty and you must use their broker if you want them to acknowledge there guarantied shipping times. If you use your own broker they will not guaranty anything. Add the broker fees and things really start to add up.

UPS should be avoided at all costs for shipping internationally!!!

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Postby badmrfrosty » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:59 am

On Ebay/paypal

One more warning to add to the excellent OP...

DO NOT accept paypal on an item you are selling if the buyer is to pick it up. Cash only.

Even if you have pictures of the buyer, in your house, having a cuppa with your mom...and video tape of him putting the synth into his car...He can still fill an "item not arrived" claim with paypal, and they will accept ONLY recordable delivery as proof. This is a known scam., although synths are not highly-targetted items (yet)

In fact, avoid selling expensive items with paypal...like the member that posted about buyers returning your synth SNAD (not as described) and he's swapped the guts!! A real common scam against rental deptartments worldwide!

I have bought a few boards from Ebay, usually picking up/cash...I drove 15 hours to northern Quebec for a Wurly!
I bought a synth from Japan...you've all seen them, there's 3 sellers that seem to have a limitless supply of Yamaha and Korg sysnths...and it arrived safe and sound and was MINT as described.
Others I have bought in the UK, but always picked up...Of course this is much harder in NA,. innit?
badmrfrosty
No Longer Registered

Invoice from US to Germany not appearing correctly

Postby breitt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am

I live in the U.S. and the winning bidder of an item I was selling lives in Germany. After he won the bid at $1,875.00, he sent me directly an e-mail requesting that I send him an invoice with the total amount including the $35.00 shipping and the optional $20.00 insurance. Ebay also sent me a request to send him an invoice. After recalculating the invoice, I checked the invoice preview and rather than appearing as US $1,930.00 as it should have, it appears as US $1.910,00 (note the decimal and comma appearing in the wrong positions). The invoice also appears to be in German. This occurs on both the invoice request from the buyer and the invoice request from ebay. I e-mailed the buyer and told him that I needed the decimals appearing correctly, the invoice preview to appear in English and the optional insurance to be calculated into the preview before I send the invoice. Is there anything unusual I should be aware of here? Is the buyer unable to control how the recalculated invoice appears? Should I beware? This happened several hours ago.

Thanks-
Brian
Elektron Analog 4
breitt

Re: Invoice from US to Germany not appearing correctly

Postby Motavis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:13 am

breitt wrote:I live in the U.S. and the winning bidder of an item I was selling lives in Germany. After he won the bid at $1,875.00, he sent me directly an e-mail requesting that I send him an invoice with the total amount including the $35.00 shipping and the optional $20.00 insurance. Ebay also sent me a request to send him an invoice. After recalculating the invoice, I checked the invoice preview and rather than appearing as US $1,930.00 as it should have, it appears as US $1.910,00 (note the decimal and comma appearing in the wrong positions). The invoice also appears to be in German. This occurs on both the invoice request from the buyer and the invoice request from ebay. I e-mailed the buyer and told him that I needed the decimals appearing correctly, the invoice preview to appear in English and the optional insurance to be calculated into the preview before I send the invoice. Is there anything unusual I should be aware of here? Is the buyer unable to control how the recalculated invoice appears? Should I beware? This happened several hours ago.

Thanks-
Brian

I have no idea but that is some strange stuff there.
Though I wouldn't mind getting that kind of money :D
ImageImage
Motavis

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide