E-MU Emulator III

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

E-MU Emulator III

Postby Ohm's Law » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:35 pm

Hello!

I just got an Emulator III from someone who didn't know much about it.

Here's what it's doing. When switched on it says something like E-MU systems 1988 firmware 2.0. then it says Checking floppy. SCSI -1. SCSI -2. SCSI -3. SCSI -4. SCSI - 5 SCSI- 6 SCSI - 7 then back to the floppy and it just goes in that loop.

I'm guessing it's suppose to have an OS on the harddisk, but since I don't see it checking the harddisk does that mean it isn't working?

I opened the case and listen and felt the harddisk. I don't hear or really feel anything. which I had read that the HDs are really loud.

Please help!

Tim Koza.
Moog Prodigy, Moog MG-1, Moog Liberation, Roland Juno 60, Roland SH-101, Roland MKS-80 super Jupiter, Roland SH-3a, Roland JX-305, Roland Sh-32,
Korg MS-10, Nord Micro Modular, Casio CZ-101, Univox Maxi-Korg, Yamha CS-01.
Ohm's Law

Advertisement:

Postby Tidda » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:45 pm

It's checking the harddisk(s), that's what the SCSI -1 etc. messages are.
SCSI means small computer systems interface, you can hook up to 7 devices on a scsi chain, harddisks, cd-roms, (computer)tape drives etc.

I don't know the Emulator's software, so I don't know if the internal harddrive is supposed to be on the scsi-chain that's being checked or if that's foran external scsi-port.

anyway, it seems to me your hard disk has died.
If the Emu requires an OS to be loaded, and it seems that it does, the OS would probably have been supplied on a floppy, maybe two.
Maybe you can download it somewhere and put it on a floppy disk until you replace your hard disk.

Tidda
Tidda

Emulator and the Emax

Postby Ohm's Law » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Another question.

My friend has a bunch of EMAX sound disks. I relize the OS wouldn't work but if my EIII was working, can it play EMAX samples?

Tim Koza.
Moog Prodigy, Moog MG-1, Moog Liberation, Roland Juno 60, Roland SH-101, Roland MKS-80 super Jupiter, Roland SH-3a, Roland JX-305, Roland Sh-32,
Korg MS-10, Nord Micro Modular, Casio CZ-101, Univox Maxi-Korg, Yamha CS-01.
Ohm's Law

Postby Bitexion » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:24 am

I'm rather sure your E-Mu is lacking an operative system. Just like a computer without an installed OS, it will just do nothing when it boots.
Or the harddrive is toast. Gee, ain't vintage synths fun? Time for the old "Guess the problem" quiz :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Return to Samplers