MPC 3000 or ASR-10

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

MPC 3000 or ASR-10

Postby AminOne » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 pm

wassup people...i jus recently sold ma mpc 2000xl...i jus couldnt get used to it...too much visualz for me, i was too focused on the screen more then da sounds...befor that i used a mpc 60 and was loving it. Now im on a debate whether to get a mpc 3000,since da great J-dilla rocked on it(RIP), or go to something new and get an ASR-10...if anything used any, or both, let me kno the differences and specs between it...thanks!!
AminOne

Advertisement:

Postby Cruel Hoax » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:38 am

I guess the choice would be made by what you plan to do with it: how you'll be using it.

The MPC is an excellent sequencer, with great feel. It can sequence itself or external gear with equal ease. It's also a basic drum sampler - good-sounding, but fairly limited synthesis-wise.

The ASR is another great-sounding sampler with a decent sequencer. The sampling engine is much deeper than the MPC's, and would work for building your own "real" instruments from individual note samples, laying out loops across the keys and sound design, modulating the loop position and sample start in realtime.

If you just want drums, and to "make beatz yo", the MPC might be best. If you're willing to learn how an old-school sampler works and invest your time in building instruments, maybe the ASR would be better.

Either way, you're gonna need to build up your own custom library. This is why these instruments are famous: every producer who got famous using one of these did so by creating his own signature sound and filling the machine with it. Kids today want "more presets", but the intelligent beatmaker realizes that music comes from your own personal vision (and conforming the instrument to your will) rather than bending your will to whatever presets are included and accepting them without change.

I dunno what to say if the MPC2000 was "too much visual" for you. It was the first MPC to offer a new-school (ish) operating system. Maybe you get along well with old-school workflow. I know I do sometimes.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Postby JB » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:44 pm

if you loved the MPC60 (and were running the 3.1 operating system) then the MPC3000 will be like slipping on a pair of your comfy old slippers but with new soles fitted.

The MPC3000 has that immediate "one button - one function" no-hassle layout that the MPC60 had which is what I assume that you missed when using the MPC2000.

As Hoax indicated, the ASR-10 is more of a sound programmers tool, not too sure if that's what you'd be after considering your references to your fondness of the MPC60. The sequencer (if anything like the Ensoniq EPS) will be easy to use but nowhere near as flexible as the MPCs.

Alternatively, if you like the interface of the early MPCs but want more sonic variety then you could hunt-down an Akai ASQ-10 sequencer (basically an MPC60 without the sampler) and have spare cash for a hardware sampler (such as an Akai S3000XL, E-Mu E6400, Yamaha A4000 etc) which will give you more options than the MPCs limited sample engine.
JB

Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Postby JUGEL » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:14 am

MPC 3000 all the way ... for your situation. Not saying it's better than the ASR-10 or anything.

I miss my MPC60 II
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Postby desdinova » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:31 am

MPC500 pushing an EPS16+ rack?
That way you'd get a fun battery powered sampling sequencer and one of the best sampler/synths ever(imo). The combo would be cheaper than a 3k, too :3
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Postby JSRockit » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:17 am

If you don't want a modern MPC... the MPC3000 is the king of the old school MPCs. However, the ASR10 is supposedly great as well. Personally, I'd go for the 3000...since I love MPCs.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby lahonda » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:42 am

thought about the asrX ??? although personally i think the Ensoniq menus are more finicky than the Akai's (even the MPC2000)
but you can do more cool stuff with ensoniqs FO SHO
they sound different too, i think the ensoniq stuff sounds nicer and 'bigger'.
Arp Odyssey, Juno-6, ESQ-1, Matrix 1000, EMAX1, Prophet 2002, MFB502, DR110,Yamaha CP25 Cubase SX
lahonda

Postby Analog Freak » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:52 am

The ASR-10 is a much better instrument for doing serious editing and sequencing. The MPC is more of a performance / improvisional oriented machine, although is has one of the best sequencers licking about onboard. I think both of them are great, but I happen to love all things Ensoniq, and I think that the ASR-10 would probably be the better choice between the two.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

Postby desdinova » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:27 pm

lahonda wrote:thought about the asrX ???

Mine is a word of pain and hurt. All the buttons are shit, the pads have died over and over again. I basically just use it as an expander for my EPS. It sounds good but...
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Postby lhm1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 am

I used to have an ASR-10. It was an awesome sampler...most new stuff still can't compete. Biggest albatross though was reliability. Alot of Ensoniq stuff wasn't constructed all that well, and since they folded quite awhile ago it's not easy to get repairs. I don't know if Emu/Creative would even be able to point you in the right direction in such a case.
lhm1138

Return to Samplers