tottal n00b question(s)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

tottal n00b question(s)

Postby Professor Plum » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:52 am

Hey guys, I really don't know all that much about synths and samplers and things of that nature and figured maby you could help me out a little but.

I am normally a guitar player but recently been listening to alot of dub and just been interested in maby gettin a synth to play around with. Being a guitarest and all I just want something that is easy to use and can sampel some stuff (along the lines of sublime) ((yeah im that ska/reggae/dub kid lol)) and was wondering what you would suggest?

I know sublime used a roland s-50 atleast some of the time and was wondring if that would be cool to try and get? and hopefully if you could make the suggestions fairly cheap lol thanks alot fo any help to a tottal n00b =)
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. -Frank Zappa
Professor Plum

Advertisement:

Postby Analog Freak » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:01 am

Well, I can't exactly speak for anyone else, but the first thing I decided to do was to learn how to play the instrument itself. I chose a Casio WK-3500, a home keyboard, not really intended for synthesis or patch editing. I painstakingly learned how to play what I wanted to learn how to play, (and still am) and as time went on, I began to buy more instruments based on how well the sounds that they were capable of making matched those in my imagination. I learned the universal skills first, and then I branched out into other skills like sampling, recording, patch editing, and other tricks of the electronic musicians trade.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

Postby VCO » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:25 am

I grew up playing the piano and a Casio home keyboard. I force myself to learn how to play the guitar now and since I'm so used to keys I never seem to get better at playing the guitar. It's really frustrating. I wonder if it's the same with people who grew up with guitars and then starts learning playing the piano when they're older.
VCO

Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Return to Samplers