sample volumes

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:39 pm

your sampler should have an attenuation control that automatically measures how much you can increase a sound. just put all the samples to that level.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Advertisement:

Postby kk994 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:42 pm

I think your talking about Normalization... Most audio editors like soundforge and most samplers have it.... Audacity which is free might have it as a function. It basically raises a samples amp level to either an RMS or Peak level... You can set the peak level to be lets say 3dB and then all samples will be raised to that level. Soundforge has a batch process function so you can load a heap of samples in and just automate it...
kk994

Postby JSRockit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Sometimes, I double, triple, and quadruple the same or different samples on top of each other to gain volume in my MPC. Basically, if I like the sound, but its low in volume (but still decent quality)...I will stack the same sample. I do this with drums all of the time....not only for volume...but for different sounds.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:22 am

i get mixed results from normalization on my esi4000 and in software. mostly very noticeable clipping and compression style distortion.

most any free wave editor has a general volume/attenuation increasing tool. i use creative wave editor...archaic, but works without a hitch.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Return to Samplers