Voice architecture of Fairlight Series III?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Voice architecture of Fairlight Series III?

Postby JB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Are there any Fairlight owners on here that could give me a basic run-through of the Series III *sample* voice architecture?

Just a basic overview of what modulation sources & destinations are available (if any).
I've read that it has a filter per voice but can't find any detail on whether this is fixed or dynamic and whether there is any control of resonance.

It's suprisingly hard to find any info on the beast (have managed to find a couple of IIx manuals but am finding it particularly hard to locate technical detail of the Series III hardware and software updates).

Many thanks in advance.

JB
JB

Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Advertisement:

Postby ItsMeOnly » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:02 pm

The CMI filter is dynamic, with ADSR envelope, however instead of analog, there's a discrete logic implementation: there is resonance, but surprisingly weak. You have one modulation source per everything (I'm not even sure the filter can be modulated).
There's no cross/ring/FM/sync, except of what is provided with software (and calculated non-realtime).
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Postby JB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 pm

Cheers.

Do you happen to know if there a stereo mix output or is there just a mono mix out and single voice outputs like on the II & IIx? I heard someone mention a "stereo mix mod" so am assuming that it wasn't standard.

Also, how much ambient noise does the main CPU unit make? Much fan action?

I used one back in the early 90's (well, I was in the presence of someone operating one as a simple playback sampler for a track I was remixing) but didn't really see all of the available parameters and the CPU unit was in another room.
JB

Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Postby ItsMeOnly » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 pm

JB wrote:Do you happen to know if there a stereo mix output or is there just a mono mix out and single voice outputs like on the II & IIx? I heard someone mention a "stereo mix mod" so am assuming that it wasn't standard.

Yes, yes, and yes: the analog output cards are two-channel, so you have 16 direct outputs (8 cards), and you can configure them freely as sIII has shared memory for digital cards (so you can route and allocate voices like in old CMIs, but with much more freedom, because there's no memory flushing required, all cards have direct access to RAM). With Waveform Processor/Supervisor card you can use two outputs as mix output.
Also, how much ambient noise does the main CPU unit make? Much fan action?

Depends, the original fans (all 4 of them) are loud, but most CMIs have probably been "modded" to use 12v fans on rubber pads.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Return to General Synthesizers