Korg X911 - pandemic?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg X911 - pandemic?

Postby audible » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Well, I took my flatmate's X911 to my usual tech because it followed the pitch only down to a certain note. Below that point it stayed at the same pitch.
The tech guy says he can't figure out what half of the circuit does at all, it seems to be such a strange design. (And he's a reliable, experienced guy, I can tell you.) So he borrowed another X911 from a friend and turned out to have the same problem. And a third from a collector, that hadn't been turned on for years, and can you guess it?

I would understand that the X911 won't follow extremely low pitches, but the critical point on all three was more or less in the middle of the guitar range, making them useless. (The CV control was perfect, though.)

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there any component that dies inside old X911s? Do all X911s share this flaw? Is it only a string of bad luck?
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.
audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby Maschinengeist » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Hmmm... sure is an investigation is in order. I have not touched a X911 in a long time. Maybe an IC? Weirdly I think of the VCF since there some frequencies that doesn't seem to pass through.

I've got the service manual. If you want me or one of my guy to have a look at it, we're at your service.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter