Any other Yamaha DX100 users here?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Any other Yamaha DX100 users here?

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:59 am

I just got one after wanting one for a year or so. I am suprised at how dirty some of the sounds are...a bit lo-fi. All in all I like it. I even like a few handfuls of presets and consider them very usable. The FM on my monomachine is so clean... I was suprised to hear the DX100 be so different.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:29 pm

None?
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby DX » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:24 pm

I have exactly the same engine in different case and size (DX27 S).

When I got it as a gift in 1988, I didn't like its sound. But nowadays I like it too much for certain sounds. Is noisy and thin but I love it.

Altough I have a DX7 and DX7II, I still use my 27. 192 presets + 24 ram without cartridge is perhaps the best memory management of all DX series.

The "Feed Lead" preset sounds as Mike Olfield guitars :) , nothing to say about the overused Patch #B01 Lately Bass
E-mu EMAX. Yamaha DX7, DX7 II FD, DX27S, Roland JP8000, D10, JX-8P. Korg POLY800. Casio CZ1000, Casiotone MT-70, SK1 (lost in my house), Commodore C64 w/ prophet64. Akai S3000 XL HD. KURZWEIL PC1x
DX

Postby Twiddler » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Well, I got one a few months ago. Have only skipped through the presets so far, and I was quite surprised! I use to HATE presets, just for being presets, but some of them on DX-100 are cool! Not that they will survive very long though... (I don't buy synths for presets, in case anyone wondered)

I'm not a FM guy, never got into it. I got the yummie deetox because it was cheap, small, FM and does strap-on... so go figure, it will take me some swearing to control it. (Some keys and buttons needs cleaning too).

But I like it like hell!!! From screwing with one preset...

It suits you well too I think, JS, with your affection for small, portable, specialized (some would say limited) gear!!! :P
Twiddler

Postby Syn303 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 pm

The DX-100 had some famous users like Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins & Richie Hawtin etc.

I also remember picking up a DX-27S for £50 in an ad in a local trader paper many moons ago.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby 8bit9bot » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:49 pm

i've had the dx-21 since i was 4 years old - its probably my all time favorite synth... its basically 2 dx-100's in 1 unit... i do want to downsize now tho... as its not as small as i'd like... i've been going with all rack gear... and i do have an FB01 - the fb01 is not programmable like the dx21 so a dx100 is the best option i suppose
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby JSRockit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:58 am

Twiddler wrote:Well, I got one a few months ago. Have only skipped through the presets so far, and I was quite surprised! I use to HATE presets, just for being presets, but some of them on DX-100 are cool! Not that they will survive very long though... (I don't buy synths for presets, in case anyone wondered)

I'm not a FM guy, never got into it. I got the yummie deetox because it was cheap, small, FM and does strap-on... so go figure, it will take me some swearing to control it. (Some keys and buttons needs cleaning too).

But I like it like hell!!! From screwing with one preset...

It suits you well too I think, JS, with your affection for small, portable, specialized (some would say limited) gear!!! :P

Yep, I rarely use presets... but I will use some of the DX100's presets. It does suit me...it's no CS01 size wise...but it is still small enough.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to General Synthesizers