Arturia Moog Modular

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Arturia Moog Modular

Postby hearttimes » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:16 am

Seems a bit more complicated than I was expecting. Does anybody here have this beast wired?
Last edited by hearttimes on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Re: Arturia Moog Modular

Postby Soundwave » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:06 pm

hearttimes wrote:Seems a bit more complicated than I was expecting. Does anybody here have this thing wired?

Yup! :)

Its best to start simple to get your bearings like setting up a simple Minimoog style signal flow (VCO > mixer > filter + envelope mod > VCA >) then add to it as you go along.
Purists moan about minor inaccuracies next to the real thing and it does have its little glitches like crashing when using hi frequency modulation on the filter but there's few modular style softsynths out there that sound as 'phatt' and the authentic GUI really works well for a softsynth.
Soundwave

Postby hearttimes » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:13 pm

basically the groups of three oscillators are controlled by the drivers?
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby hearttimes » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:21 pm

i sure wish they would find someone to help them with their manuals in english. there's some pretty rough going there.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby Bitexion » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Welcome to the world of modular synths where nothing is preconnected.
I just got a 14-module analogue systems modular myself, it's pretty daunting until you get used to the patching. It's hardware.

The English in the manual seems badly translated from french.
It is pretty hard to get your head around in the beginning, but you notice hardly ANY of the factory presets actually use more than 2-3 oscillators? It's because more than 3 VCO's in a patch will just get messy due to phasing issues. It is a golden rule in synth programming.

Actually, the old moog modulars didn't even have "mod level" knobs like our more modern synths have. Either you had full modulation, or you didn't.
Users used the amplifiers/mixers as attenuators to get a level control. MMV worked around that by using the outer rim of the inputs/outputs as "knobs". The sequencer is a creature all of its own, it's a monster, very terrifying. But there are some examples in the manual on how to patch it together simply, go with those and expand naturally as you explore. Modular synths are very much about exploration and suddenly hitting "sweet spots" as you twist the knobs and try cable routings. Suddenly you get an idea, patch it up, and 1 hour later it is nothing like your original idea!
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby hearttimes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:01 am

yeah i'm old school. i have a 2600 (and the arturia version as well) an d i get the patching ideas, but the manual is unclear on that mixer strip, with the softsat buttons. i've been experimenting to sort that out. also now getting a handle on the keyboard assign and sequencer assign "buttons".

i have a mac g5 and in protools at 96k two instances of mmv are pushing it.

still i like this synth as far as it's design goes. not quite there yet on the sound.

btw. i'm jealous of your a.s. system.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby MarkM » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:56 am

I love the Moog Mod V2. There's a lot to learn, but I didn't find the manual too difficult. Just take it slow, and eventually it will all make sense. I loved the sound so much that I eventually bought a Moog Voyager, but I still use the software as well. Yes, the drivers control the 3 oscillators. I agree that the mixer is probably the most vexing aspect. The little red Link button on the mixer had me confused at first.
MarkM

Postby hearttimes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 am

thanks for the encouragement!

does this beast sound different than their minimoog when a similar patch is connected?
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby MarkM » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 pm

I have only used the Moog Modular V2.
MarkM

Postby Soundwave » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 pm

hearttimes wrote:thanks for the encouragement!

does this beast sound different than their minimoog when a similar patch is connected?

As far as I know the V2 Modular had revised filters which I believe are same as on their Mini that came out just before the update. I do know the MMV’s filter is a close emulation of the 901 and sounds pretty darn accurate to the one found on the Memorymoog. The Arturia Mini also tends to be a little more stable and hog’s less CPU than it big bro.
Soundwave

Postby hearttimes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:24 pm

yeah, stablity is not one of the mmv's stronger points, at least on mac.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby Bitexion » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:21 pm

I see the strip on the bottom as a simple mixer. You hook every oscillator onto a channel in the mixer, send the mixer output to the VCA. The little buttons just link together the parts of the mixer.
If you wanna listen to osc 1+2+3, push the buttons between those oscillators in the mixer.

My AS modular has 2 VCO's, 2 EG's, a multimode filter, comb filter (very strange analog BBD delay thingie that distorts and warps whatever comes through it), ringmodulator, a couple multiples, Modulation controller (cutdown versions of LFO, noise and a small vca in one single module), 2 4-input mixers, VCA and MIDI/CV converter that also contains an LFO and 5 outputs where you can route aftertouch or any other midi parameter into the modular and 2 CV outputs. It looks and sounds fantastic.

I totally want the RS200 3x8 sequencer too, it is modelled after the moog modulars sequencer, and has amazing possibilities. But it's very expensive, costs half the total modular system alone.

They have a moog-cloned bode frequency shifter too, which costs the same as the sequencer. Very crazy module that one.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby riccir » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:33 am

That's funny, I'm on an intel mac and have been running V2 with no problems ... though I haven't used filter FM yet so that may be a buggy point.

But yeah, I'd really like to see some documentation/examples of the Bode Shifter. So ... ok you can create a set of linearly shifted partials of a signal, right? What are some real or theoretical intended examples of how this is a musically handy thing? I hear it's good for stuff with certain inharmonic qualities like Timpani percussion, but I haven't seen an example patch of that.

Anyway, I guess maybe I just need to fiddle with it a bit more 8)
riccir

Postby hearttimes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

i like that bode shifter on the mmv. god knows what it does.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby hearttimes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:07 am

Bitexion wrote:My AS modular has 2 VCO's, 2 EG's, a multimode filter, comb filter (very strange analog BBD delay thingie that distorts and warps whatever comes through it), ringmodulator, a couple multiples, Modulation controller (cutdown versions of LFO, noise and a small vca in one single module), 2 4-input mixers, VCA and MIDI/CV converter that also contains an LFO and 5 outputs where you can route aftertouch or any other midi parameter into the modular and 2 CV outputs. It looks and sounds fantastic.

I totally want the RS200 3x8 sequencer too, it is modelled after the moog modulars sequencer, and has amazing possibilities. But it's very expensive, costs half the total modular system alone.

They have a moog-cloned bode frequency shifter too, which costs the same as the sequencer. Very crazy module that one.

i am VERY jealous.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers