Synton Syrinx

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synton Syrinx

Postby JUGEL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:33 pm

Anyone have one? I saw this in a studio I was mixing in ... and couldn't find time to give it a go (or the Synthex sitting there).

What's it like? Samples? I'm curious because this site compares it to a SH-7.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Postby REwire » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:14 am

I have never heard one but I've heard it has a serious mean filter that has to be heard. It is similar in architcture and has the same CEM chips as the Crumar Spirit which also is described as having an amazing dual filter. Only other synth using that same CEM3350 Dual VCF is the Rhodes Chroma.

DonK from AnalogUS wanted me to hear one of the last ones made in the 90's that is a rare rackmount with midi but he wanted 6K for it. I declined to even go hear it, don't even wanna be tempted at that price.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com
REwire

Postby stikygum » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:57 am

I'd just like to play it because I know I'll never own one unless I get extremely rich. I just can't spend what they go for. But the filter is the machine. Seems really flexible. I think a modular company should make a filter clone of it. That's what I'm getting more into.
stikygum

Postby calyx93 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 am

I've touched one... once. Air's "Sexy Boy" is just a teaser to what lurks beneath - but I'm rather sure I'll never own one.

You have to draw a line somewhere with prices, right? But, there is one on eBay if you've got the cash...
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Re: Synton Syrinx

Postby Philly Stress » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:11 am

JUGEL wrote:Anyone have one? I saw this in a studio I was mixing in ... and couldn't find time to give it a go (or the Synthex sitting there).

What's it like? Samples? I'm curious because this site compares it to a SH-7.

I was just about to pose the same question. Is there anywhere online I can here a sample of the Syrinx?
JoMoX Mbase01
Philly Stress

Postby Pighood » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:31 am

What can you get for SIX GRAND?

Hmmm...a NEW Andromeda, a NEW Virus TI, and a used Waldorf Q.

Or....an overhyped dutch fossil which when it gives out, it's gone forever for SIX GRAND?

(ducks behind a row of bicycles)
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station
Pighood

Postby GeneralBigbag » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:43 am

6k...stereo Ebbe und Fluts and a MachinedrumUW and a Blofeld?
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby whiteyhouston » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:57 am

20 microkorgs and one George L's cable

hmmm.. I have twiddled with the syrinx at audities but I did not get to really explore the architecture of the synth beyond dialing some basic sounds.
perhaps next time.. same goes with the s/p synthacon and gleeman pentaphonic.

I did spend an hour fiddling with a deagan vibe running into a whammy pedal and fuzz factory..
whiteyhouston

Postby REwire » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:18 am

I just saw that one on E-bay. I thought 6K for Don's was just his pricing, I never thought others would be up there.

Forget how many cheaper things you can get for 6K, what other synths cost around that much or more?

Synthi AKS
Yamaha CS-80
Serge Modular
Macbeth M5
LAMM Memorymoog
Arp2500
??

Crumar Spirits can be found for $3000 or so, so look for one of those.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com
REwire

Postby JUGEL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:54 pm

I had no idea that they were that rare and expensive.
The studio was nuts. they had.

EMS VCS3
Arp 2600 with mods, added OSC, added VCF ... w/French connection controller
Serge Modular
CMS was in for repair.
EMS vocoder
Synton 222 vocoder
Synton Syrinx (red)
EDP Wasp
ELKA Synthex
machinedrum
Nord 2
Some blacet stuff
Arp Sequencer
TX81z
SidStation

Then there was an "editing" room. And just sitting in there was

Oberheim 4 Voice
MS20
Blue SH101
Microkorg
and ... a PolyMoog with all the pedals.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Postby pelican » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 pm

syrinx is an awesome synth, but definitely not worth $6000. The last one on ebay sold for $4000 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1

Synton synths are great. A syrinx is no FENIX though. Maybe I should put my fenix on ebay for 10 or 12 grand?
pelican

Postby Sexor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:07 am

I saw one locally here in Holland a few weeks ago.... I think it went for around 1500 Euro... like, say, a Minimoog.
Monkey business since 2007!
Sexor

Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Postby Synthacon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:07 pm

I sold my Syrinx a couple of years ago for £2500, it was a Red one and went here www.somastudios.com

It is a really nice little synth, the key feature to it is the filter section. You have 2 BPF and an LPF, you can make some great sounds here, lots of Vocal type stuff, think of early Air tracks.

I sold mine to fund my big modular I had, I could create the same sort of stuff with multiple filters on that.

Really not worth the money if you have a modular system, only buy one if your collecting.

The little metal mod plate is also REALLY weird to use.
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Postby JUGEL » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 pm

that's funny ... that's the EXACT synth I saw. small small world.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Postby Synthacon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Sure is, probably still got the small crack in one key as when I sold it! Tried to replace it, even contacted the guys from Synton but no luck.

The thing about the re-issue sale one that was on eBay is that by the looks of it, Don bought it for just short of $4000, sold it to another guy for $6600 who then also sold it on eBay for $6600, they dont come up that often.

I know my friend has just sold a Black one for £2000.

They really are not worth the cash, a modular can do the same for less. I did have a price from my tech, an exact clone of the filter to go in my modular was £500, and included using the CEM's... would be a better deal.
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Next

Return to General Synthesizers