Best sequencer for running mam mb-33/FreeBass 383 ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Best sequencer for running mam mb-33/FreeBass 383 ?

Postby bandreject » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 am

Of course hardware. Please don't say that Mobius (i was thinking about something about four times cheaper). The accents on mb-33 are made using note velocity, and the slides by playing new note while holding the previous. Some extra features like playing the sequence backwards, and doing in-pattern loops while playing, or position shifting are welcome.
bandreject

Advertisement:

Postby JSRockit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm

Just a guess, but would the Roland MC-09 work?

It does have slide and a midi out... some people here own it and could confirm if it would work.
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby bandreject » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:50 pm

It depends on the way it deals with those slides (probably it don't use them at all when sequencing external gear). For example mb33 does slide when the new note is played while holding the earlier. Some other tb-303 clones know when to slide, by getting a midi controller message (value above some value is slide on). Thanks for reply!
bandreject

Postby sacredcow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 pm

bandreject wrote:It depends on the way it deals with those slides (probably it don't use them at all when sequencing external gear). For example mb33 does slide when the new note is played while holding the earlier. Some other tb-303 clones know when to slide, by getting a midi controller message (value above some value is slide on). Thanks for reply!

The MC-09 would work perfectly, actually...
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)
sacredcow

Postby rockmanrock » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:34 am

The Roland EF-303 is probably worth having a look at too. I use the sequencer on my AN1X, that does note overlaps and velocity for accent.
rockmanrock

Postby bandreject » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 am

And maybe some manufacturers/hobbyists do kits for self assembly? The sequencer can have one track, no controls automation, and midi input only for synchronization, 16 steps is enough, and of course it should have possibility to make the slides, and accents (using two volume values). The best "extra" options would be possibility to make loops inside a pattern (for example playing from step 3 to step 9), and playing patterns backwards/pingpong with possibility to change loop points while playing (like some analog sequencers could)!
bandreject

Postby Altitude » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 pm

I would stay away from the step type sequencers for the MAM, look at 'something more linear like a QY-10 that you can record realtime on its keyboard and have the steps if you want them
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby bandreject » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 pm

But I don't want a sequencer for doing the "big-sequencing-thing", I need a sequencer that could integrate with the synthesizer for lliveact/improvisation. Remember that I can still record the output of this sequencer to something like yamaha's qy sequencers (and this is probably the biggest power of my concept). Imagine programing some simple arpeggio, and then evolve it live using the loop point changes, backward playing, and stuff, all realtime, and recording it to some other sequencer for further usage in the final arrangement.
bandreject

Postby Altitude » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 pm

yeah but bear in mind that step sequencers are generally monophonic so they will only play one note at a time per step, per track so if you want a slide you will need two overlapping tracks which can be quite unmanageable live. With a linear sequencer you can set your loop length, quantize if you want, slave it to clock, and then just bang in the pattern.
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby bandreject » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Yest it is true, but for analog cv sequencers. Midi doesn't have such limitations. Midi says only "start to play a note with some pitch and volume", or "stop to play a note with some pitch" (this is identical with "play a note with some pitch and volume 0"). So it isn't midi that cares about the polyphony, but the instrument.
bandreject

Postby Altitude » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 pm

bandreject wrote:Yest it is true, but for analog cv sequencers. Midi doesn't have such limitations. Midi says only "start to play a note with some pitch and volume", or "stop to play a note with some pitch" (this is identical with "play a note with some pitch and volume 0"). So it isn't midi that cares about the polyphony, but the instrument.

your missing my point, to get the MAM to do slides you need to send it two notes at the same time i.e note A stays on while note B starts. Doing this on a step sequencer that only does one note per step (like the EF-303 someone mentioned) is impossible since you cannot send more than one note per step. So unless you want something that will not allow you to play slides, I would look beyond step sequencers
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby JSRockit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Altitude wrote:
bandreject wrote:Yest it is true, but for analog cv sequencers. Midi doesn't have such limitations. Midi says only "start to play a note with some pitch and volume", or "stop to play a note with some pitch" (this is identical with "play a note with some pitch and volume 0"). So it isn't midi that cares about the polyphony, but the instrument.

your missing my point, to get the MAM to do slides you need to send it two notes at the same time i.e note A stays on while note B starts. Doing this on a step sequencer that only does one note per step (like the EF-303 someone mentioned) is impossible since you cannot send more than one note per step. So unless you want something that will not allow you to play slides, I would look beyond step sequencers

I'm missing the point to...the Mobius is a one track sequencer with one note per step and it does what he wants to do... no?
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby cartesia » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 pm

what if you set the note length/gate to longer than one step, then had the 2nd note on the step after the first note, while the first note was still 'playing'. . would it bend then?
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby rockmanrock » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Altitude wrote:your missing my point, to get the MAM to do slides you need to send it two notes at the same time i.e note A stays on while note B starts. Doing this on a step sequencer that only does one note per step (like the EF-303 someone mentioned) is impossible since you cannot send more than one note per step. So unless you want something that will not allow you to play slides, I would look beyond step sequencers

I've not used the EF-303 but had a good look at the manual and it offers per step settings for Gate Time (0-105), Slide/Rest (Normal,Slide,Tie,Rest) and Velocity (0-127).

It looks like sequences can be run forward, backward, alternate and random and a last step can be set to get those syncopated patterns when run against say 4/4 beats.

I'm sure Roland have fucked up something with it but it looks promising to me.
rockmanrock

Postby bandreject » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 pm

cartesia wrote:what if you set the note length/gate to longer than one step, then had the 2nd note on the step after the first note, while the first note was still 'playing'. . would it bend then?

It is working this way! It works almost like portamento in other synths (differences are in filter envelope triggering).
bandreject

Next

Return to General Synthesizers